Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-23-2019, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Holley carb tuning & oil catch can???

I currently have an AED HO Series Holley 4150 750cfm w/electric choke, 0.5" wooden spacer, and the AED fuel rail. It's set up as it was out of the box in terms of jets, pump shot nozzles, and power valve. Attached is a copy of my carb card with the current specs.

After adjusting the 4 corner idle screws with a vacuum gauge and doing a considerable amount of driving, I believe:

A) My low-speed jets are too large. It runs really rich by looking at the plugs and the exhaust smell. The plugs are a dark cardboard brown and black around the outside. They should be a light-med cardboard brown and not sooty around the outside, correct? Do I go 2 sizes down at a time and go from there?

B) The low-speed pump shot nozzle is too small. It has a hesitation that can kill the engine when not hot by jumping on the throttle even after removing all lash from the accelerator pump arm. Even when hot, the hesitation is there and bad. Best I can describe it is like the engine totally cutting out for a moment. Do I go 1 nozzle size up and go from there?

C) How do I determine if I have the right power valve for my application? I heard there was quick math I could do by using what my manifold vacuum was at peak after tuning the 4 corner idle screws in drive with the e-brake on?

Now, moving onto the oil catch can. I have the passenger side valve cover going into the RAII air cleaner as stock, a breather cap on the driver side valve cover instead of an oil cap, but the PCV breather at the front of my engine valley pan cover is going straight into the giant vacuum port on the back of the Holley (front port on an Edelbrock or stock).

I'm concerned that this is just sucking oil vapour straight into my intake through the carb base. Under heavy throttle even the breather on my driver side valve cover mists out oil. I think this is also contributing to the outside of my spark plugs being black (but totally dry!). Oil literally drips out of that PCV check valve when I've pulled it.

Is it advised to install a catch can between this valley PCV and the carb? Are lots of people here doing this who have an aftermarket setup?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190423_180627.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	510875  

Last edited by 92GTA; 04-23-2019 at 09:08 PM.