Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-06-2019, 08:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1957 Star Chief

Hi everyone. My small collection might dictate something differently, but my heart has always been with Pontiac's. Very soon, I may have the opportunity to look at a 1957 Star Chief 4d ht. Judging by the pics which sometimes can be deceiving, it looks to be in decent shape. They claim no rust. The body looks straight. The speedometer is stuck all the way across with the red liquid. Would that be a mercury type product?? The driver seat seams appear to be coming apart. They look like leather?? I can't tell much more about the car based on pics only. I friend told me about it and he took some pics with his i-phone. Apparently this ladies husband, the previous owner died, and she wants to sell the car. This is all hearsay to me but I think it's accurate. I'm waiting to see if it's ok to call her about this car. I always have an interest in looking at anything, but purchasing I'm obviously not sure of at this point. My father had one of these and I really liked that car alot. I am somewhat in the market for a 4d ht if I was to buy one, so this just might fit in. I'm trying to learn and research these cars as much as possible before getting serious if that even happens. I know a few things to look for, such as rust in the area of the "B" pillar where the front door locks to and the rear door is hinged to, if with 12" of this pillar, stay away. I'm also told to make sure all the chrome is there because some pieces might be difficult to get. I'm mainly concerned about rear quarter pieces and the "spear", but I don't have any pics yet of that area. I'm very limited to my knowledge of what else I might be looking at or concerned with/red flag for this particular year/model and I'm seeking some guidance and direction. If I was to buy this car, I would want to make it safe and drive-able; at least for now. I'm not sure how much money I would invest in it for restoration, but I don't want it to look like crap either. Based on the few pics I have, I would say it's in fair to borderline good condition. It is presently registered and garaged. I'm assuming it's drive-able. I do think it would need paint, but maybe not right away. As probably with most, if not all cars, the prices are all over the charts. I see on line some done over nicely anywhere between $19,000.00 and $30,000.00. These would be 2d ht's which I think command for money. About 2 years ago or so, I saw at a tv Mecum Auction, a 1957 Pontiac, which looked great, go for $14,000.00. I thought that was a great buy for someone. I tell you what, if I was there, that car would have gone home with me. So there you have it and that's all I know at this time. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much, Carmine.