Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy Need help w/ out-of-state engine rebuilder

I am putting this under members helping members even though it deals with engine issues. I bought my GTO locally from a couple from Utah. They wanted an iconic car but with a new baby sold the GTO for a new SUV with full infant safety equipment. Anyway I bought it in 2014 but had it stored until 2016 since we had found our dream home right after the GTO purchase, fixed dream home up and built a garage; then we had to fix up the old house to sell. Getting the GTO to its new home went well but I haven't been able to discover what exactly my GTO is. My spine went to h--- moving tons of stuff so now, I'm going to have to have spine surgery so the GTO fund will be depleted for a few years except for small stuff (brake pads, spark plugs, filters, etc).

The sellers had the great paint job done and upholstery so I am good there. They had a man in Coeur D'Alene Idaho rebuild the non-original engine for them. I found the engine number (9792068) behind right cylinder head and with the help of Ames tech guys learned the date and XF made it a '69 Grand Prix 428----all good. (GTO also has the '69 and up single piston disc brakes replacing the original 4 piston calipers.) Despite being a '69 engine, it has the 8 bolt timing cover/water pump, and 6X-4 heads. The intake is a Performer with an Eddy carb (w/cracked body=leaks). (I have a good Holley from another car to use.) Ignition is a very old looking Mallory Unilite.(I swapped some parts for a new MSD RTR.) Cam is unknown...a Ford friend said it had an "stock cam sound"?? The sellers had used the same oil in the GTO for oil changes as for their new cars --- 0W20 synthetic. The front and rear crank seals weep oil and at idle the Autogage oil gauge reads <20lbs. Never goes over 40 psi. (Gauge or engine problem?). Sellers had the water pump 'go out' and had a "classic car mechanic" replace it. (I recognized his name as a Tri-Five Chevy seller/buyer/mechanic.) The engine always runs hot (mechanical Autogage unit) around 230* or more, despite full radiator. I wonder if the water pump divider plate wasn't clearanced properly or left out entirely?

I have questions the sellers couldn't answer about the engine "rebuild" but they gave me the name and email of the man in Coeur D'Alene who did the work for them. I sent him several emails w/pic of the car and the PO's names, none bounced back, and he never replied. The questions I had for him were these:

"Is the GTO’s engine a 428 w/ stock bore/stroke?

If not, was a 455 rotating assembly put in it? (The sellers, to me, thought this was a possibility.)

Were new bearings and pistons/rings put in? Bore/hone?

Were new crankshaft end seals installed?

What camshaft is installed in the engine?

New lifters? Valve springs? Timing chain?

Any work done on the 6X-4 cylinder heads?
Valves ground? Heads shaved? Stock or ARP rocker studs? Any porting?

Chrome alternator appears to be one wire. What brand alternator? What is amperage output?

Is the TH400 trans the one that came on the 428 or the one that was original to the GTO? Has it ever been rebuilt?

The rear axle has a Suregrip tag on it (PHS says car originally no posi). Is it the original GTO axle or the one from the Grand Prix? What ratio?

At my age and health, I don’t want to dig into the engine or electricals if I don’t have to, so any info you give me will be greatly appreciated……Thank you."

I thought these were non-threatening questions and had hoped for some info from him but nada. I did include the sellers' names and pic of the car to help his memory. I've thought for some time to put out the builder's name and location in case a forum member knew him and could get the info for me; but did not know if this was a good thing to do or not. If this was 15 years ago, my body and pocketbook would allow me to just pull the engine and take it down to see what is what. But as previously mentioned, this isn't feasible for several years. I can crawl under to get info from the trans and rear axle but the engine insides are a dilemma.

Anyway, I throw this problem out to see what better minds than mine think should be done to ascertain engine rebuild status and what parts actually are in the 428. My thanks to all!

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/