Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2015, 07:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Then when you talk with Mr average consumer with limited automotive knowledge, the FIRST thing out of there mouth is "I want a cam that sounds good"."

I've heard that a few times, and have been dealing with a customer that has an Oldsmobile 350 in his street car. He spend the last couple of years trying out camshafts in the engine, seems like he doesn't mind changing them out about as often as I change my underwear. He kept buying "custom" grinds from Lunati, and clear down to 108LSA, which I told him would be a poor way to go, but he did it anyhow.

He absolutely LOVED the sound of the 108LSA cam, but hated the "stinky" exhaust and hard brake pedal at stoplights. He must have tried half a dozen cam in that engine, then finally took my advice and went to a plain old generic 214/224/112 grind nearly identical to the Summit 2801 cam for the Pontiac engines.

Now he's absolutely LOVING that engine, relatively smooth idle, strong/broad/flat torque curve, and he claims is pulls harder and further into the rpm than ALL of the "custom" ground short seat timing faster ramp cams he's tried.

Of course he only has the "butt meter" to judge them by, at least until we get his car to the track next month. The last outing was a complete disaster, the car ran so slow in the 1/8th mile that I was considering ordering a Big Mac and a Coke and consuming them before I got to the finish line! The best runs I could get out of the car on the last outing were around 9.80's 70 something MPH, so it wasn't much faster than a Dodge Neon with one or two plug wires pulled off of it. He has ALL the good parts in place that will bolt to an Olds 350, and estimated it made around 350hp, looked like closer to 200hp by the track numbers.....FWIW......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post: