THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-27-2014, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Moving to Italy for 2-3 Years, What Car(s) to Buy???

Fellas -

Just found out that the wife, daughter, and I are headed to Naples, Italy for our next tour (active duty Army). We'll be there for 2-3 years.

What would you buy if you had $30k to spend on a classic Italian sports car? I can swing a Ferrari Mondial, but that's a lot of flash and no dash. I could find a beater Ferrari 308, but at 6'4" and 230 lbs, I don't think I can fit into one. Not a fan of the 308 GT4. A 348 would be at the top of my budget, but could probably find one with some looking around. Could do a 456, too; would fit into this, but top of the budget, and really a different car than the others listed above.

What about a late 60's/early 70's Fiat Dino coupe? Not sure if I could fit into one.

Or maybe an early 70's Alfa GTV 2000? Maybe a bit roomier inside than the Fiat Dino?

Both neat cars with a lot of character. Not likely to find these in the states.

Some of the TVR's look very nice, but I think they are all RHD.

A Lancia Delta Integrale would be neat, but kind of boxy.

Lots of other options, of course, in my price range, but lots of stuff that I can buy in the states -- Audi RS4 and RS6, AMG Mercedes, Aston Martin DB7 with V12, BMW M3/M5/M6, etc.

Cars 25 years old or older would be nice; easy to take back to the U.S.

Almost forgot -- think I'm going to ship my 68 'vert over. It's just finishing up a frame-on resto. Will likely sell it at some point during my tour.

Your thoughts?

Scott