Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Yes, he has cubic inches on his side. Just a simple +.030 455 with cast rods and TRW forged slugs, nothing sophisticated. Probably just an old Grandvile station wagon engine that was at one time driven by someone's Mom to the grocery store.

But take note, the real power comes from a well-chosen cam and heads recommended by a proven Pontiac shop.

That and taking time to tune the entire combo to near perfection.

It takes more than just big cubes, it takes dedication to getting everything in line.
X2
Many folks build engines... I'd say that maybe 10% were properly built w/ all the precision machine work and "Perfect Storm" of parts, AND properly tuned. The rest ran good, not great. Until you've experienced the "Great" deal, you have nothing to compare your motoring experience with.

When you put a short seat cam in a 10:1 455, and/or a chevy generic 600 cfm holley on the same engine and wonder why the fart piper crowd is out running you from stop lights, AND your engine sounds like pop corn popping...the situation CAN be remedied! Many people here, work on this stuff every day, that know their stuff!!!

I've ridden countless cars that ran "pretty good". Years ago I met up w/ a friend that was/is a professional racer/engine builder...crap what a difference. Everything he worked on or built got the most possible out of it's particular combination, whether it was a street car or racer.

Folks continually ask questions here, about how to band-aid their poor choice of parts selection, or other crazy things...they want to stretch that gap between good (or a lot of times less than good...) and great, AND IT'S NOT POSSIBLE.They get the proper advice, but it's NOT what they want to hear.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...