Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i have driven & riden in my friends 2001 ws6 & even mostly stock its a very fun car, they go for $6-8k in decent shape around here & real nice ones for arond $10k, so figured if i sold the 81 i would have quite a bit of $$ left in my pocket to justify the trade. plus 2 2nd gens is enough, gotta move on to some more modern technology.

best place to tap in for a boost gauge whether permanent or just one taped to teh windshield for testing is right where the vac controller gets its vac source from the engine, splice a t- fitting in the rubber line & run it where you want, easy to cap off if its not a permanent one. i just used a vac/boost test gauge taped to the windshield to set the psi but i do have a permanent one to put in one of teh a/c holes in the dash bezel.

the cold high idle is either the choke fast idle screw set too high, try turning it down a bit or backing off the choke dial a tad. or its the ISC (idle speed control) solenoid. they are known to go bad but can be rebuilt or replaced with a new one. the 81 cars were the first years of the computer control so the carb, timing & all controls are done by the ECM, you cant even adjust the base idle screw, the computer will over ride it. surprised you dont have some check engine codes going on too. best bet is to get a 81 gm manual if you want to work on it, or sign up at 301 garage & ask tons of questions or do hours & hours of research. im a long time member there (81pacecar) & the owner joe is an endless resource of knowledge & help. the manual is available at 78ta.com for $15 & worth every penny.

they are a bitch to work on but when running right they are pretty decent little cars.

Last edited by 78w72; 11-20-2014 at 11:22 AM.