Pontiac - Race The next Level

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Q View Post
To me, it's all in what you want to call it.

Some say if it's got aftermarket block and heads, it's not a Pontiac anymore.

Some say if it's got a spread bore spacing, it's not a Pontiac anymore.

Some say if you can't bolt a factory timing cover on it anymore, it's not a Pontiac.

If you look at some of the popular racing engines, you see something interesting...CN blocks call their 5.3 bore space block a "BBC". However, it has a much bigger bore spacing, a factory oil pan won't work, a factory timing cover won't even come close, and there's not even a provision for a distributor. Is it a BBC anymore? Some would say no. I, however say yes, because of this fact: the engine reflects changes in design that started off as a factory block. Here's what I mean....one of the first changes to a BBC was deck height. Big deck heights became really common. Then came bigger bore centers. First came 4.900", then 5.000", then 5.200", the 5.300", before ADRL and NHRA finally said "no mas" and put the limit at 5.300" in an effort to contain costs (funny in and of itself). Then there were really big cam core diameters, and radically moved lifters. Some even have skirted mains. At the end of the day, can we really say that it's a Chevy? Not really, but it is still regarded as a BBC because that's where the foundation was.

So the question is, does anyone want to stifle progression in Pontiac parts (and therefore performance) because of an idea of what does or does not constitute a "real" Pontiac? To me, there's not enough people doing fast Pontiacs as it is.....why make life any harder?

It is what it is, and to each his own, I say.

FWIW.
exactly the point i was getting at, well said

67 LE MANS in pieces...
68 gto
84 grand prix twin turbo 496 pontiac 25.3 cage