Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Default 15" or 16" wheels with factory dog dish hubcaps

Hello,

I'm still a ways off from purchasing wheels and tires for the '64 Grand Prix I'm restoring, but I have a wheel/hubcap question. I really like the factory steel wheels and dog dish hubcap look, but I will need to use at least 15" wheels in order to clear the disc brakes I added to the front of the car. I'd like to even use 16" wheels if I can as the tire selection is better.

Does anyone know if I can use 15" or 16" OEM-looking steel wheels purchased from a place like Coker Tire or Wheel Vintiques along with original or reproduction early to mid 60s dog dish Pontiac hubcaps will work on my '64 (5x5 bolt pattern)? Do the clips match from the early dog dish hubcaps to the repro 15" or 16" wheels?

I'm sure I could use a later model 15" steel wheel (i.e. '77 to '90 Chevy Imapala/Caprice) with the Pontiac dog dish hubcaps from the 70s/early 80s, but I really like the look of the early hubcaps. I've also seen some who purchase steel wheels from Coker or Wheel Vintiques, but use the generic "smoothie" hubcap...I'd like to have the 15" or 16" wheels I use fit the Pontiac hubcaps though.

Thanks in advance for your help!