The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Starting Body Restoration

Hello All,

Got my GTO back after 5 years in storage. The enthusiasts on this form helped me rebuild the engine which is running strong today.

I’ve read and still reading threads on body work. I want to start by replacing the floor pan. Before I do any demolition, I need to read more and hopefully gather info on this thread. My questions are:

1) How do I separate the floor pan from the rocker panels? (Eastwood has a part called a “seam buster” but I think a chisel and hammer would do the same thing).
2) What floor pans are easiest to install, a one piece, two right and left halves, or four piece sections? (There’s rust holes in all four pan sections but good metal around the rust, 4 pieces seems easiest and least expensive to me. I think a one-piece would be hard to manipulate).
3) Can I repair the rust hole in the rocker with new metal or should I replace the entire rocker? See pic. (Trying to replace the rocker panels seems intuitive. I believe I would have to support the body up and off the frame).
4) Would this be an opportune time to get at and replace the body mounts with the floor panels out?

Hopeful the pictures will help give a description of where I’m at. I’m not sure of the integrity of the floor braces but from what I visualize, they appear to be okay.

I’m buying the tools as I need them and gather advice. The first semi-major purchase will be an air compressor. The big box stores and Northern Freight have 60 gallon compressors available for more or less $500. They appear to have favorable reviews. After the compressor comes the MIG welder.

Thanks in advance and great to be back on this site after a few years.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Body Restoration.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	330694   Click image for larger version

Name:	Floor Pan.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	330695   Click image for larger version

Name:	FloorRocker Seam.jpg