Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2013, 11:54 PM

Default Hot starting issues

I have a 71 TA 455HO auto car. It starts when its cold, however fails to start when it gets hot.....sometimes......pretty consistently. The engine harness has been replaced with an M and H harness from Ames when I restored the car, I have replaced the solenoid twice and the starter once, also replaced both the Negative cable and positive cables. I have adjusted the neutral safety switch, checked the shifter switch and adjusted the switch on the steering column. The ignition switch feels like it could have some wear, as it doesn't move a smoothly as it should, however has never failed to power the car.....it just won't engage the starter when this happens. The car has tilt and I have checked the switch in multiple positions and power at all levels. I have been fighting this ....intermittently for over a year and have finally run out of ideas. I recently replaced the solenoid again and thought I had things fixed, started every time for about a week and then one day, stopped for gas, got in to start the car and nothing. Exactly the same issue. When this happens, I have lights, I can turn the key and volts register on the gauge, however NOTHING at the starter. Can't hear the solenoid click at the starter.....absolutely nothing......let the car sit for about 45 minutes and usually the car starts right up......although....not always.

The last time this happened, I jacked the car up and jumped the solenoid Battery wire to the ignition side of the solenoid with the key on and the car starts right up.

The car is stock, except for the Pertronics ignition.

Completely perplexed and out of ideas at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Tom