Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2013, 09:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Video of first start on my 67 GTO.

Hi,
If you're interested in arcane amateur GTO stuff,
My son put up a horribly edited GO-PRO video of me starting my GTO for the first time since it's ongoing resto. My neighbor was there too (he's an excellent motorhead neighbor)
It's about 5 minutes long. Spare yourself and skip the first couple of minutes unless you like watching an engine not catch.

It captures the very first start and "pop". The last couple minutes we take a spin around the block.

The motor is not rebuilt, but I did take it completely apart to inspect and re-seal. The trans was rebuilt and the rear end was partially re-done as well. A lot to road test!

I put the wrong intake gaskets on (doh) and it's got a huge exhaust leak on the crossover. Dang. New gaskets on order. The power steering wasn't bled either. Noisy.
Unfortunately, my audio was clipping horribly too. I'll post again with correctly leveled audio to get the sound of the nice 2.5 Pypes X with Dynomax 17749's.

The carb is an ancient never-been-rebuilt-73Olds-carb that I've had for 25 years. It's been dry for many years and didn't quite yield optimum idling. It has a couple classic vac lines with screws in them for plugs. It was one of those that popped off at the first start.

I'm going to place an order with Cliff's Performance for a rebuild kit for another, better Olds carb I have, and I hope to have it running like a champ soon. Gotta do my homework first though, and detail what I need for the carb rebuild.

It was a THRILL to drive this, even for a few moments and stinky burning paint and exhaust pipe oils. It shifted and drove so nice with the 4 speed. Can't wait to take it for a long drive.

http://youtu.be/XBXE9jS8Rk0

Yes, it's a weird link with the tu.be in it....donno why....youtube is weird.