Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 PM

Default 1972 lemans restoration started.

Hello everyone, my names Mark and I have old car disease.

Back in 1989, I bought my 72 from a co-worker of mine for $1000 (4 payments of $250). I drove it for a few years during the summer, and then tore it down and replaced the worst parts of it and got it painted sometime in 1991.

I drove it on and off again for the next few years, but I bought a 1966 Harley in 1991 and it ended up first in line and then Lemans pretty much sat for the next few years. I did take it on a tour of Wisconsin in 1994, but that was the last major trip it has seen.

Long story short, I moved in 1997, and it hasn't seen the road much since then. I bought my house in 1998 and put it in the corner of the garage, taking it out once a year to run it for about 10-15 miles before putting it away again for another year. I've wanted to work it for years, but I've been putting tons of money into my house and working on other cars. (53 chevy and 66 F85 Cutlass)

Well, long story short, I received my inheritance from my dad that passed away this last summer, and now have enough to start and finish it the Lemans, which is the way I've always wanted to try and get it done. I really didn't want to start it, unless I could finish it without looking for money to do it.

So, 2 week ago, I spent the entire weekend and rearranged the garage, pulled the front clip and doors. This last weekend, I pulled the interior, trunk lid, emptied the trunk, pulled the gas tank, and disconnected everything from the body to the Frame.

This weekend I am going to get the last 2 body bolts out and start working on raising the body from the frame. I still haven't decided how to get the body up, but I'm thinking raising one side at a time until I can fit a 4x6 between the frame and body w/ a 4x4 on top to match up to where the frame connected to the body. Once I get the 4x6 to cross, I was going to build a frame under it and put casters under it. At least that is what I am thinking.

Once I have the body off, it's time to pull the engine and put it on the stand, pull the tranny and take it in to be rebuilt and look at what else can be done.

My goal is to strip to the frame, sandblast it, paint it and start doing the same for every part that goes back on to it.

Pics and more to follow.

-Mark

1972 Pontiac Lemans