Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2011, 12:47 AM

Default oil leak problem with my 71 400

Well at the begining of the summer I had noticed a slight oil leak on the passinger side under the car. But as summer is when I put the car away untill nicer weather I did'nt worry much about it. Well this last week it was finally nice enough to pull her out and start looking into this. after a quick looksee I found that the oil was leaking around the oil filter(you can see the oil pooling ontop of the filter) and running down the filter onto the exhaust. Well I needed to change the oil anyway so I changed the filter and made sure it was well snugged down(yes I did coat the rubber seal prior to install) but alas when I started her up my leak was worse than ever. I ran it for a few miles and then rechecked that the filter was tight, again still leaking. So my question is has anyone experianced a problem with the part that bolts to the block that the filter spins onto? Cracking, warping, other issues that can cause this to leak?

Thanks
Chris