Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-21-2011, 09:51 AM

Default Pontiac for life

Well my Pontiac Passion started at 14 when my dad had two Grand Prix, a 75 and a 77. Loved those cars, on my 16 bday my dad bought me a triple black 73, was decent but didn't run at $100. I was told if I figured it out and get it running hede pay insurance and get my tags, well my dad was an ASE certified mechanic so I was basically being tested after years of watching and listening. Found timing chain was slack and had jumped a tooth. In one week I was driving oh what memories, she had a 400 w a 400 turbo, and I couldn't keep a right rear on her. But all the years growing up my dad let me watch and try my hand on a lady down the streets 72 sj when he would service it or rebuild anything on it. it was a 455, 400 turbo 12 bolt car, the 455 was the first motor I ever saw apart when dad rebuilt it in 88, he let me help and put it together with him. I always wanted the car and so did my dad but she wouldn't sell it, years passed and dads health begin to fade and I lost him to diabetes 3 years ago at age 60. I was and still am devastated on losing my best friend, I was lost and didn't want to fool w cars anymore, at the time I had a 65 Chevy 2 small block 4 speed car and just didn't wanna look at it. Then the next fathers day my wife knew it would be tough on me so she said let's go out to eat, midway thru our meal she said why don't I sell my nova and I thought yeah prob not a bad idea but then she said.......because you need to make room for your new car and handed me a pair of GM keys, I was like huh? My wife had went out and got a loan on her own and went and talked the new owner of Mrs Peters 72 SJ that I was taught on into selling it and told me I needed to rebuild the car for me and my dad as a tribute to him, and that this was how I can stay connected with him. Everytime I get in the car I can't stop smiling knowing dads with me and his hands have been all over that car. I now own my dream car and without a doubt have the best wife ever. Since then Ive pulled the low compression 7M5s off and put on some 6x heads that i ported per Jim hands book as well as unshrouding the intake valves in the combustion chamber and port matching and re-shaping the intake runners around the head bolt holes. We rebuilt the motor in 88 and it didnt have many miles on it since then and the cylinder walls still looked fresh w/ no ring grooves so i just updated the top end.I then went on to a performer intake, matching cam, Harland Sharp 1.65 rollers, MSD billet HEi, noisy gear drive, headers, 2 1/2" duals w/ Flowmasters and a Holley 850 HP double pumper then threw a set of 3:73s in the 12 bolt rear. This car will hold its own for sure even for a lead sled. Still not painted but who cares im enjoying everytime i drive her. i did re-cover the seats w/ covers from PUi and put in a package tray.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00060-20101214-1310.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	257392
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	104.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	257393