Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-13-2011, 01:18 PM

Default THE THIRD GTO

Hello fellow Pontiac lovers this is my first time posting although I have been lurking here for quite sometime. I bought my first GTO a 1966 four speed,maroon,factory tach,3:55 rear gears. I was around nineteen years old the year 1985. My mom saw the car sitting in the back of a used car dealership my dad (also a pontiac fan) and I went and looked at the car everything looked good other than no engine. Bought the car and took it home and started looking for an engine. My dads buddy (also a pontiac fan) had just found his boy, who is a year younger than me, a 1965 Catalina at the car auction. the engine was a 389 with 400 heads and a tri-power set up. When they bought the car it came with a stack of paper on the work that had been done to the engine. Well we start racing all the local guys in this big ol Catalina and were beating them and this thing has some kind of airplane gears and a column shift. Not long after this the ol Catalina met up with a telephone pole and I bought the engine for the GTO. I CAN STILL REMEMBER THAT FIRST RIDE took the car out the road about a mile turned around at the neighbors farm. Put the car in first gear tached her up a little and let the clutch go just a little tire spin. The car starts to hook, and I go all in, power shift to second, in come the deuces and its all ,all I can do, to keep her straight this thing is wailing like a banshee now third gear ,this thing is flying gotta get on the brakes 90 degree turn coming WOW WHAT A RUSH turn around and do it again. NEIGHBOR SAID HIS COWS QUIT GIVING MILK BY THE TIME HE GOT ME STOPPED!!!! Many many street races in this car after that, but I'll post those some other time. Sold the car a few years later biggest mistake of my life. The second GTO another 1966, green, automatic on the flour ,two speed, tall rear gears not near as fun as the first one, but what a highway car. I'm not sure what the top end on this car was after the speedometer disappeared and I STILL HAD THROTTLE LEFT I would chicken out and back out of it. Mint condition car, sold it, and thought about those two cars for something like 20 years. THE THIRD GTO well I,m picking it up in a few hours, 1966 black on black, 389 numbers matching engine, fresh rebuild ,pretty much stock on that, m21 and a 12 bolt rear, console, factory tach ,four barrel, body off restored a few years ago very nice. HOPE TO NEVER BE GOATLESS AGAIN. So I have been looking around here and other sites for the last week or so trying to brush up on everthing wow lots going on. Already thinking about pulling the original engine, putting it aside, and building something a little wilder! Well only one thing left to do before picking up GTO number three, send my drivers license into the DMV, NEVER HAD THEM MUCH WITH GTO 1 AND 2 And last but not least I would like to go ahead and apologize to all the farmers between Pittsburg, Pa and Breezewood, Pa if your cows don't give milk in the morning, I'm sorry, it has been 20years!!!!