Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-27-2011, 06:16 PM

Default Rally Gauges Again!

Gents,

Looking for some insight from the group. I have a 69 GTO with Rally gauges and HEI upgrade. I've recently had my dash restored (Just Dashes did a great job!) and figured that I'd replace the engine and passenger compartment wiring harnesses while I had easy access to them. In addition to the harnesses, I also replaced the printed circuit as the factory one was delaminating.

Prior to the replacement all of the gauges were working as intended. Afterwards, my fuel, oil pressure, and temperature gauges are screwy.

The fuel gauge is pegged to full while the car is running regardless of the fuel level in the tank. After the car has sat for a few min not running, it will drift slowly down to the F mark. When the ignition is turned back on, it will move back into the pegged position, not quickly or slowly but just move at a normal rate. The gauge was working properly prior to the harness and printed circuit replacement.

The Oil Pressure and Temp gauges are exhibiting the same frozen position just under half way through their range of motion. They don't move at all regardless of the engine operating parameters (running, not running, full temp, cold, start up, ect).

The trouble shooting that I've done so far is...

Check the fuse for the printed rally gauges. Good

Check the ground on the printed circuit. Good.

Check the voltage between the connector and the printed circuit. No reading on any of the connectors.

Check all of the dash lights. Good.

Check the connection at the junction block between the dash and engine harness. Good.

Check the voltage between the oil pressure sensor and supply wire with engine running and not. No reading.

Checked voltage between temp sensor and supply wire with engine running and not. No reading.

Checked the connectors on the steering column. No problems noted.

I've checked all of the areas that I can think of, now I'm just poking around in the dark. Any suggestions would be quite welcome.

Regards,
Tony

Last edited by Tony Goat; 08-27-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo