Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-27-2010, 03:08 PM

Default Carb issue...now what??

OK so this winter I removed the crappy 600CFM Holley vacuum secondary carb from my 70 Lemans Sport 400 4 speed and replaced it with a rebuilt correct for 1970 Q-jet.

I bought the Q-jet off of ebay and it bolted on and worked fine. Immediately the car ran and idled much better than with the Holley.

After the conversion the car did some sitting because we had major snow here in PA.

Last weekend I pulled the car out for a quick ride and smelled excessive gas.

With the car running I opened the hood and checked out the carb. It was leaking slightly from the fuel inlet fitting. Long story short the fuel inlet fitting was/is stripped out. I bought an oversized, self tapping, inlet fitting but it doesn't go deep enough into the body of the carb to start threading.

Am I screwed? Is there another fix that I'm missing??

The only thought I have is to possibly drill out the carb body and install a heli-coil, but it's a pretty big opening.

Any suggestions or past experience??

1970 Lemans Sport 400, 4-speed, 3:23 posi