Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2009, 11:28 PM
Suspended

Default Ok guys, need some ID confirmation...

In my other thread about my 455 buildup - http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=617015 - I spoke of a RA IV engine that I would be buying.

Unfortunately, like so many things in like, it was too good to be true. The seller swore up and down that it was a RA IV, but upon delivery it turned out not to be. Bummer indeed, but not terribly surprising. That said, I still took it anyways, since even the crappiest of the crappy Pontiac motors is still worth more than I paid

So, here's the breakdown of what I got. The block is an XS, casting number 9790079, date code A249, which by my research seems to be a '69 265hp 350 block. Grrrrr... The guy swore up and down that it was a 400, and I trusted him, if for no other reason because it was so cheap. Ok, anyway, it does get better. The heads are #16, both date coded J047. By my research, that shows them to be a 1968 400 head, one of three possibilities - 335, 350 or 360hp, with 2.11/1.77 valves and ~72cc chambers. They do have screw in studs. It appears these were used on standard GTOs, but not Ram Air engines?

There's also a Holley Street Dominator big single plane aluminum intake on it with all the casting marks and numbers ground off. He says he didn't like to advertise, heh. The rear cam plug is removed, and per the numbers on the cam it appears to be a Comp Cams 268H, which is cool. Also included were a set of stamped roller rocker arms and beefier pushrods than my stockers. So, all in all, it's not the awesomeness that I hoped for, but it's still going to be a big help to me. This fellow purchased a well-built 400 from a friend of mine to replace this motor, and he said it ran well, but was tired.

Looks like the 350 blocks have a bore of 3.875", so it'd be pretty worthless as a builder I assume. I suppose I'll sell that to someone who just needs a motor bad and doesn't care about displacement.

As far as these heads, they should be worth something decent, you think? Can't use them on my 455 obviously, because of the small chambers, but somebody with a GTO ought to want them I would think.

Ok, sorry for the long post, but my question at the end of the night is, is my research accurate on these parts? Are they what I have researched them to be? Thanks!