Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-24-2009, 08:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default Not Happy w/combo - decision help needed

All,

Just not happy with the new motor in my 67. Not making nearly the power it should and can't even break the tires loose from a dead stop. Car is a cruiser and not a race car, but I would like to have a little fun now and then. Motor has 500 miles on it and way to much money invested to perform like it does.

Combo
72 400 block w/428 rotating assembly from PPR
D-port 96 heads rebuilt and ported by butler
comp cams hyd roller XE276HR (yes the same cam that has been the subject of much discussion here) - 276 I - 282 E 224 I - 230 E .502 I - .510 E
q-jet - rebuilt by Cliff
performer intake
pertronix ignition 12 deg initial 36 total - all in by 2500
stock exhuast manifolds into duals with flowmasters
2200 stall (unknown mfg)
Turbo 350 - 2.93 gears

So here are my options as i see it
Since lots of folks hate this cam, go with a custom grind (since I have my head flow numbers) or a recommendation from here
update to long branch exhause maifolds to take more advantage of the head work (not sure how much I'll pick up there)
Different converter/stall to better match the current cam - agian not sure of the gains possible.

Help please?

67 Firebird Convertible - SOLD
80 Firebird Formula Turbo