Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shiny I am right there with you, just a little earlier in the process, or maybe later depending on how you look at it..

Went to drive my '69 last March after it sat for a couple of months (mostly because the booster quit working.) No brakes. Opened the master cylinder and the rear was out of fluid, but the front disks should have been working. So I bought a booster and master cylinder from one of the local stores (Autozone?) and installed it. Tried to bleed the rears with the old "wife pushing the pedal" method but no air or fluid would come out. Then tried the fronts and found the bleeder broken off one of the calipers. Back to the store for a caliper. Put it on with a new hose and then tried to bleed the rears again without success. Pulled the rear wheels and found both sides soaked with brake fluid and everything rusted up. Pulled the feed line to the back brakes from the combo valve and plugged it thinking at least the front brakes will work. Then found the hose bayonet fitting was leaking on the new caliper, and I could not get it to seal.

So... I decided to replace everything on the brake system. And while I was at it, a new trunk floor, gas tank, susp bushings, engine, trans, exhaust, wheels, tail lights, wiring, chrome, emblems etc.

I finally have the "detailed" bay ready for the engine/trans- but before I drop it in I want to get the new brake system working. Everything is new including the brake lines and combo valve that I bought from inline tube. And I still can't get the rears to bleed right. I think maybe the master cylinder could be bad, or maybe the combo valve is sticking... but I am just getting started trying to figure it out. Oh, and now the hose fittings to the calipers won't quite seal all the way on both sides.

I don't want to hijack your post but maybe some info-sharing could help both of us!

Walt (Who needs brakes anyway..)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4878.JPG
Views:	49
Size:	217.9 KB
ID:	183321  

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"