Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 98 GM 3.4 engine problems

I have a 98 Oldsmobile Silhouette (Mini Van). with a 3.4 6 cylinder engine.

Anyways it started running rough a couple of weeks ago and the idiot light came on. My son scanned it and it said there was a miss fire on one cylinder. Internet search pointed to a bad spark plug or coil. We continued to drive it since it smoothed out after a couple of miles. So last week it over heats a little because the coolant was low. Added fluid everything was fine. The low coolant didn't concern me because its always lost some coolant. But I could never figure out where even though I've searched the vehicle over many times. Never smelled hot coolant either. So yesterday it didn't want to start for my wife after she came out of the bank. I went and switched vehicles with her and brought it home. Coolant was low again. Hmmm no puddles, no hot coolant smell Checked the oil everything looked fine color and level.

Then I pulled the oil filler cap, Crap a creamed coffee colored film was all over it.
So I'm thinking head casket. But I do remember something about the intake caskets going bad fairly regular on these engines.

Anyways your opinions are appreciated.

If it is the intake casket do I still need to pull the engine to fix it? It seems every other repair to requires that the motor mounts be removed and the engine leaned back. It has 167k miles on it and this is the first real problem it's giving us.

Glen