67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default The Tubs are in!!

Okay, the excitement for me is really building now..
Yesterday we did final fitting of the tubs and got them welded in.
I did a quick measurement on both sides and, seems that I have a solid 14.5" of clearance in the well without rolling the lip. I think I'm going to roll it for the extra clearance.
Basically, we fit in each well and marked a line for where we drilled our holes for the welds. The pics will show that.
We then clamped down the tubs into place and went to town. There were areas where the back of the tub needed a little push against the frame so, I used a breaker bar to apply some pressure while my buddy Jeff tacked down those spots. The tubs are now welded flush to the frame where we added the 1/8" steel block out.
I think I'm going to lightly grind down those welds, remove all the under coating from the existing well and paint it all uniform.
I'm also going to coat the inside (trunk area) seams with seam sealer and paint.

What I have left to do now is modify the trunk lid supports that we removed initially and, reweld them to the new tubs.
I now need to order my shock cross member and DSE offset spring shackles.
While I'm waiting for that stuff to arrive, we'll be cutting off the leaf spring perches from my 12-bolt. They'll need to be brought in a little to accommodate the new spring position.

`joe
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0849.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	148598   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0851.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	148599   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0852.JPG