Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-30-2008, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis-formerly Jegstek View Post
Sweet cars...I luv 'em! The 400/4 speed is killer! Don't put too much stock into PHS. I'll get killed for this but I know for a fact that they are NOT infallible. My '69 GTO ragtop was a verified numbers matching one owner two barrel car but PHS had it listed as a YS car! Also had the firewall grommets for hide-aways which it didn't have. I believe the order was altered on the line, but purely a guess on my part. Other sources listed car as one of 215 or one of 216...depending on source. Just saying....looks like you got the real deal and I wouldn't concern myself with the rocker moldings not being listed. Stranger things have happened. Nice ride. Do her proud! Ron

Ron,
I also have seen blips in PHS's but your 2bbl example is not a mistake, the 2bbl option was a no charge and since the PHS is an accounting document only it does not refer to options that have no financial impact. Something to consider when buying a auto trans GTO, no way to know from the PHS if it was a 2bbl car.
Another example of this is notchback seat, no option is shown (but you know from the trim code)

A common area I have seen a mistake is tinted glass, about one in ten AC cars shows softray on the windshield only, which is debatable if this was permitted with AC. But either way, every time I have seen one of those cars in the flesh they all had tint all around.

Another area is things like HD cooling, some RA IV cars show it as a seperate charged option (as the ordering books show it must be) but others do not have it, same for speedo adapters.

I parted years ago a 69 GTO convert that was a rotten mess but 100% virgin unmolested (I knew the only owner who did not know a carb from a lugnut) and the car had 3.23 gears (even though it was a base engine auto no AC and no axle options) and a clutch fan (like AC cars) but again no HD clutch fan option on the PHS.

You regularily see PHS's that have hand written corrections on them, probably in response to dealer complaints about missing items, figure for every one of those there was another one that was not corrected since I never heard of a car salesman who would notify the factory because the car had an option the dealer was not charged for, and others where the dealer failed to notice missing or incorrect options.

The bad news about this is that if you have a car with a desirable option like an optional motor that somehow did not show up on the PHS you are out of luck short of having a buildsheet or a convincingly virgin car.

1969 LeMans (2dr & 4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 ht & Judge ht)
1969 Cat (3 Cvt’s & 2dr ht)
1969 Ventura wagon 2 seat
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Bonnie Cvt & 2 wagons
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
1969 2+2 2dr ht (Canadian)