Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dough, most people doesn´t understand that the combustion should be finished and have the cylinder peak pressure at approximate 14 degrees ATDC to obtain maximum effiency from the engine. That is why you see different ignition timing curves for different engines depending on their configuration, combustion chamber shape, compression used, fuel used for example. This is what the engineers have to consider setting up an ignition timing curve that works, and i can guarantee that these engineers had more resources than most of us hobbyists to find the right curve.
Your present timing curve might work without the vacuum advance can and with the throttle nail to the floor at the dragstrip, but for combined street/strip
i would try an ignition timing curve more like an original if i were you, say 10-12 initial, 30-32 total at 4400rpm´s plus 15-20 from the vacuum advance can connected to a manifold source. To this with a racing cam you need to set up the carb properly as i´ve erlier described, i´m sure Cliff R can help you with the carb issue.
I would not be surprised if your car gets even faster after this.
Another thing, i really don´t like the description of the distributor vacuum can as an "ignition timing advance can" as it´s activated most of the time the engine is running. It is in reality an "ignition timing retard can" since retarding the igntion timing is what it really does when you hit the throttle to avoid preignition and ping when the mixture gets rich.
And the Crane can, well i have done some extensive testing on this a few years ago, and the result is:
0 turns it starts at 4,5 in/hg and max at 13.
2 turns it starts at 5 and max at 14.
4 turns starts at 6 and max at 14,5.
6 turns starts at 6,5 and max at 15.
8 turns starts at 7 and max at 15,5.
10 turns starts at 7,5 and max at 18.

I used this with medioker results until i learnt from Cliff R how to set up the idle circuit in my Q-jet right. Since then i´m using my original parts and settings and i would never dream of using the Crane unit again.

Jim, no problem conserning starting issues with the vacuum cannister connected to manifold vacuum.

............Kent

http://gtoaa.org/