THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '79 Trans Am vs. Hellcat!!

Thought you may enjoy this. That's a great-running Pontiac. Too bad we can't see the ET's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIjsXNQIoXI

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 05-24-2016, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From the audio it was an 11.4 to a 10.94, half a second on the hellcow.....................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-24-2016, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Yes - bring on the new stuff - Runs a Pontiac 455 - Don't know how built it is .

Old 05-24-2016, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac power, old school, have to love it!..... Unless you just plopped down 75K+ for a Hellcat. Reminds me of when the Grand Nationals first came out and were kicking the butts of most of the old muscle cars. Fans at the drags loved to see an old carburetor muscle car beat one. We are just another generation down the road.

Old 05-24-2016, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Pontiac power, old school, have to love it!..... Unless you just plopped down 75K+ for a Hellcat. Reminds me of when the Grand Nationals first came out and were kicking the butts of most of the old muscle cars. Fans at the drags loved to see an old carburetor muscle car beat one. We are just another generation down the road.
Like this one - Jim Mino's 68 Firebird RA II 400 kicking a Grand Nationals butt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKHFamXGxqM

Old 05-24-2016, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If that was the 1986 Supercar Showdown, I was there. It was held at Quaker City Dragway in Ohio and that GN would have been new. Firebird looked great walking away from it although the GN was a great car for the time and we all know how fast they were modified. Had the pleasure of riding on the street in one that ran in the high 9's. Incredible, especially when you look at what a frightening pile of junk the engines are on the inside.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good to know.

EHTTF

Old 05-29-2016, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was surprised... maybe it's just me, but that Pontiac sounds very, very strong. Gotta be hitting close to 7K too.

Old 05-29-2016, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I suppose the Hellcat was off the showroom stock....or pretty close. A/C. Probably no A/C on the TA. The Hellcat will probably cruise effortlessly/quietly at 75/80 all day long. Probably not with the TA. In cruise mode the Hellcat probably returns pretty good mileage. Probably not with the TA.

Good run TA!

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.

Last edited by David Jones; 05-29-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think that was a hellcat. Didn't have the hood nor the stance and I didn't see the badge on the fender and no hellcat came with chrome wheels but then someone could have been a tool and removed the perfect wheel for that car for some ghetto chromes.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 05-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

11.4 isn't a SRT in stock trim. As much as those cows weigh from the factory if it wasn't a hellcat, it had some pretty stout modifications. Whey weigh well over 4000# as they come from the dealer and an as equipped from the factory ain't going to haul it that fast through the quarter.

With street tires and 707 HP they run right about where that car ran. Internet reports 11.2 on street tires, 10.8 on slicks.

SRT 392 N/A is 485 HP is touted by chrysler in their advertisement to be a low 12 second car. So the car in the video (hellcat or not) is about.8 seconds faster than a N/A 392 SRT challenger.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 05-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The hellcat curb weight is 4439#. That's only 200# less than a 71-76 Bonneville.........

1984 Grand Prix

Old 05-29-2016, 09:35 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The hellcat curb weight is 4439#. That's only 200# less than a 71-76 Bonneville.........
Yep, and a wheelbase about the size of a chevelle. It's girth and heft deter me greatly.
Strange thing is that no one ever talks about these new car specs. They just mention the power.

Old 05-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a challenger. Great car and it rides nice and heavy too. I guess that is what makes them mind boggling is how they can get that heavy car down the track so fast. It just didn't look like one but I didn't see the times nor the Hellcat badge or hood but my screen is not great. I watched a few hellcats run down the track on Powertour last year and talked with the owner of one. I have some video somewhere. Seeing all these hellcat killers make me come back to one thing. Not one is off the showroom floor factory warrantied.

Check out my sons blog, www.driftundertheradar.com

Old 05-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Apples and oranges comparism. If you have not rode in a Hellcat, it is Bad Ass. Sad truth is in as produced condition, no Pontiac could run with a Scat Pack off the showroom floor,forget about the Hellcat. Now I am not getting rid of any of my Indians to buy a Hellcat,but I seriously thought about it.

Last edited by J GLASGO; 05-30-2016 at 08:02 AM. Reason: qq
Old 05-30-2016, 09:20 AM
Suspended

I think one of Mickey Thompson's SD421 Cars could take on a Hellcat and win.
Especially his SD421 Tempest.

Then there is that SD421 1963 Tempest that wss converted to a Solid axle rear with 1957 Pontiac 9.3 Rear & '57 Full size car leaf springs.
Really launch that Tempest hard at 5,000 RPM.

And I think a Ram Air II & Ram Air 4. Bird & GTO Give the Hellcat a run for its money.
100% Stock & super tuned.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheneaglesfly View Post
I think one of Mickey Thompson's SD421 Cars could take on a Hellcat and win.
Especially his SD421 Tempest.

Then there is that SD421 1963 Tempest that wss converted to a Solid axle rear with 1957 Pontiac 9.3 Rear & '57 Full size car leaf springs.
Really launch that Tempest hard at 5,000 RPM.

And I think a Ram Air II & Ram Air 4. Bird & GTO Give the Hellcat a run for its money.
100% Stock & super tuned.
How about Nunzi's 4 cylinder Tempest???

Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
How about Nunzi's 4 cylinder Tempest???
Oh Yeah.
Your Right.
Forgot about Nunzi.
His 4Cyl Tempest is Bad Azz Fast.

Knock the Dicks off those Hellcats.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J GLASGO View Post
Apples and oranges comparism. If you have not rode in a Hellcat, it is Bad Ass. Sad truth is in as produced condition, no Pontiac could run with a Scat Pack off the showroom floor,forget about the Hellcat. Now I am not getting rid of any of my Indians to buy a Hellcat,but I seriously thought about it.
I don't care how fast they are. I would rather walk down the street carrying an old Pontiac hubcap than drive a Dodge.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatwgn View Post
I don't care how fast they are. I would rather walk down the street carrying an old Pontiac hubcap than drive a Dodge.
Haha! Used to think the same way. When I drive or race my Pontiacs, it takes me to a better time and place. New cars don't have that. I respect how much everyone on here loves there Pontiacs. I do to. I guess technology has somewhat changed my thought process. As far as a ra2 or 4 beating a hellcat ,that's not even a fair race. A good ra4,and I mean Good,(nhra comp) is about 380-390 HP as t wheels,hc is about 640. Let's say if a hellcat pulls up next to my Ra Gto,or SD bird,i ain't racing.

Last edited by J GLASGO; 05-30-2016 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Tt