Old 06-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Senior Chief

Default Time to throw in the towel...

It's been six years now since Parkinson's Disease forced me into disability. In this time it's been harder and harder to make any headway on restoring the "vert". It's time to move on. What I need opinions on is how to recoup as much as I can of what I've got in the car. ( I know I can only expect to get a fraction of what I've spent.)

Would it be better to sell everything as a package or part it out? My major investments have been the engine, rear end, suspension and a NOS rear quarter. My photo album and signature provide additional info.

Thanks for your feedback.

P.S.

Please PM me to discuss anything not relevant to the car.

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - K (from MIB)

1972 LeMans Sport convert (T41) '70 XF 455, TH400, 3.31 12-bolt Posi
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 PM

Parting out a project nearly always brings in more money.

If you have the time and are physically able to make the effort to sell it in pieces, it might net you more cash. Sell the NOS sheetmetal, engine and drivetrain parts separately and then sell the car body with title. Find a way to keep it on 4 wheels, so it can easily be loaded for transport.

However finding a buyer for a somewhat rare and valuable (after restoration) type of car like yours might net a decent return. Selling it complete with all or some of the parts needed to finish the restoration might be the only way to get rid of the car itself, if too much is missing most potential buyers may shy away.

Best of luck.

Bart

Old 06-10-2014, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What kind of condition is the car in now? Meaning, is it more or less a complete assembled car or a spread out pile of parts?

My feeling is that a 455 T-41 Lemans convertible is a pretty desirable car and that it will bring the most if all of the major parts are with it. Sell off any NOS and restoration parts individually to get the most for those parts.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 06-11-2014, 07:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Drew sorry to hear of this.

I know you put a lot into this.

From his photo album:

Drew, was your uncle related to Neely Pontiac?

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...pictureid=3801

Good luck with the sale.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-12-2014, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

Hey John. Good to here from you. To answer your question, no, my uncle, Calvin Watson owned the Cadillac / Pontiac dealership in Cairo, IL. Needless to say all us relatives drove Pontiacs!

Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow. - K (from MIB)

Old 06-16-2014, 12:39 PM

Drew, I'm very sorry to hear about your condition. I only live about 40 minutes south of you. If you need help with anything on your car or otherwise, I would be happy to assist.

Old 06-12-2014, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Hang in there!!!
A good fellow Pontiac friend, he's 2 years older than you is in your same shape. He's going to Dr. soon to hopefully get in line to have the brain stimulation deal installed. He's never posted here but reads the racing section all the time. He's originally from Reynolds, Ill.
He sold his 72 455 HO GTO about 1-1/2 years ago...I hated to see it go

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-17-2015, 12:54 AM
Senior Chief

Default A year later...

My wife refused to let me sell or part out the Lemans. To quote her "I bought that car for you as a retirement gift for the both of us. Something for you to restore and something for the both of us to remember our younger years. You will get better! "

I had my first brain surgery in January and my second in March. I now have a low voltage signal generator implanted under each collar bone. A wire runs from the generator up the side of my neck behind my ear up under my scalp to a spot where a nickel-size hole was bored into my skull. The wire connects to an ultra-fine electrode inserted deep into my brain. Ditto for each side of my body. The procedure is called Deep Brain Stimulation surgery.

I'm now almost symptom free and am doing activities around the house. I'm resuming work on the Lemans a little at a time, starting with the Rally II wheels.

There are a few down sides to the surgeries. My voice is very soft and I sometimes stutter. My scalp is numb any I have two hidden bulges where the surgeon used medical grade 'Bondo' to seal the holes in my skull. I can't really complain though considering the benefits. Oh, yeah. No welding due to magnetic fields. That's gonna be a problem.

So, guys ca I come back to the forum?

Old 09-17-2015, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Splendid! Glad to hear you are back up and running as a result of "science"!

Also glad to hear the car situation sort of worked itself out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew W View Post
Oh, yeah. No welding due to magnetic fields. That's gonna be a problem.
Not necessarily (lol). I try to avoid welding and there is nothing wrong with me.

That I know of.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

hate to hear about the disease. it runs in my family, my grandmother had it, my dad had it, really rough. however no body in my family to my knowledge ever got the surgery. I think the annoyance of the downside details is way better than living with it without the surgery. keep us posted on how it works. glad to hear you are back at it.

Old 09-17-2015, 01:21 AM

Glad to see you're back Drew.

Enjoy the project, make your wife (and yourself) proud.

Best wishes, Bart

Old 09-17-2015, 01:47 AM
Suspended

You were never not welcome, it's just good that it helped you & your trying to get the car done now. Glad to hear your doing better , & post here often about the progress of the car & you.!!!

Old 09-17-2015, 06:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you are on the way to recovery. I wish that I was closer to help you with your car.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:14 AM

Welcome back, Drew! Very happy to hear of the progress of both you and the car. Id be happy to help in any way I can, except welding. UUmm.....to put it mildly, I suck at that! Sorry. I'm good with most of the rest of the stuff.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you and your car are now closer together, wires and such.
I think having that kind surgery was a brave thing on your part.
I wish you the best.
Now stop reading these forums and get that Poncho back on the road.

Old 09-17-2015, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome, Drew!

Happy to hear you are doing great.
Hope to see your car running again.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 09-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome back Drew. Glad you didn't sell your Lemans and are now able to start working on it again! A friend of mine who helped with some of the mechanical restoration on my 65 had the same procedure that you had. His voice is also now very low and soft. First time I saw him after the procedure was a car show where the noise level was quite high and I had to get practically in his face to hear him. But he claims his tremors are now almost completely gone. It was funny when we worked as I'm disabled also with braces in my shoes and using a cane to be able to walk. He would take his morning meds and by the time he felt calm enough to work it would be 10 am when he got to my shop. That's about the time I felt like going to the shop after my morning meds kicked in also. Then we would work until about 1:30 and go to lunch. We'd come back and finish up any thing we were doing and by then it was around 3 and both of our meds were wearing off and we would call it a day. Some days we didn't get much done, but at least we were able to get a little something done.

Good luck with your project, take your time, and when you have a 'down' day just leave it alone!

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 09-30-2015, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm speechless, which is not normal for me.
God bless you sir.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I'm speechless, which is not normal for me.
God bless you sir.
I felt the same way reading the thread sequence.

Hope your progress with that 'vert is ongoing!

Welcome back.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

....and the freakin aches & pains we complain about every day are nothing compared to this!

Welcome back Drew!!!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978