Old 01-07-2004, 10:15 AM

Hello all. I'm a long time Pontiac fan, particularly of '61 Catalina & Ventura's. In the mid 60's my brother and I raced a 368HP-SD in upstate New York. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who remembers Max Sterling and his "White Lightning" '61 SD Ventura. He frequented Cecil County Dragway and was the NHRA MPH record holder for a while in E/S during the summer of '68.Any pictures of this car? Any idea of what became of it? Just curious.

Old 03-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Sd Dave, What is your proof that the 61 White Lightning is dead? I have information to the contrarary. A friend in Prescott, Az told me he has it and is restoring it. I have seen the car in his shop. I'm not an expert on this car but, my friend is not a BSer. He's a hard core Ford guy and he will be displaying some extremely exotic Ford stuff at my race/ show "Musclecar Heaven Drags & More #2" here in Phx in 3 weeks. He also likes and appreciates 61 Pontiacs. He'll be there to answer some questions. I am supplying some parts from my yard for the restoration of the car. Steve www.pontiacheaven.org

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 02-27-2004, 11:02 PM

HI GUYS AGAIN, SORRY I TYPED THE NAME WRONG BUT I WAS IN A HURRY TO PICKUP MY WIFE FROM WORK. IT IS WHITE LIGHTNING, I REMEMBER AS A YOUNG KID IN THE 60s AND 70s GOING WITH HIM TO THE DRAGSTRIP AND WATCHING HIM RUN ALL THREE WHITE LIGHTNING CARS. DONT TELL MY UNCLE MAX I CALLED IT WHITE LIGHTING I WILL NEVER GET THE CAR. THANKS, EDDIE

Old 02-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don, please email me, or post here. I need some info from you. The White Lighning is being restored as we speak out in Arizona, as I understand it. I'm waiting to hear from you.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-07-2004, 10:15 AM

Hello all. I'm a long time Pontiac fan, particularly of '61 Catalina & Ventura's. In the mid 60's my brother and I raced a 368HP-SD in upstate New York. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who remembers Max Sterling and his "White Lightning" '61 SD Ventura. He frequented Cecil County Dragway and was the NHRA MPH record holder for a while in E/S during the summer of '68.Any pictures of this car? Any idea of what became of it? Just curious.

Old 02-10-2004, 08:14 PM

This is Dave from Ca, well it's nice to read all this info, about Max's 61 that I believe I have
in arizona I to am trying to get to the bottom about this car.I just read what Jerry posted an have a feeling that could be what happen to the car,but I do have some of the original pices,so time will tell.I have had several long conversations with Max and we will soon know.

DonPontiac if yo would E Mail your phone number please,I would like to again talk with you.

Old 02-15-2004, 05:00 PM

Here are some photo's of Max Sterlings 62 Sd Pontiac and his 71 Sd car thought you Tin Indians fans would like think back when racing was in your heart not in your wallet.

Old 03-27-2004, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by j brady:
Went to Norwalk in about 1995. a 62 grand Prix was their that was suppose to be one of only a few 421 SD cars. If you knew anything about the SD cars it was quite obvious that it was not an original. I dont see anything wrong with a retag if it is represented as that, but to claim that it is the real thing is a different story! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was that Gartzman's car? I understand that was a "rebody" or "retag" job. The restorer that restored it made a statement in a Pontiac publication a few years ago about restamping engine blocks and how he viewed it as "ok" for a "correct" restoration, to which he later stated that he was "misquoted" and/or "misunderstood".

There's alot of this that goes on in the restoration business, not just with Pontiacs. Corvette's are probably the worst.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:56 PM

jerry h. and all. i had a long conversation with dave from california last night. VERY INTERESTING!! it SEEMS he has the car at a friends shop in az. he definately has the number plate and the virginia title i gave don miller with my name still on it. neat eh? i'm hoping to talk to the guy in az. to talk about soome little body details that maybe only i know about. it sure would great if that car did NOT get cut. i talked to max last night too and we're all trying to figure it out. i'll check back here tonight. don

Old 01-31-2004, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From what I've been told the 389/303hp was very competitive. Although I always wanted the 421. That 389 that you had sounds like the 303. My 63GP was light blue,blue interior,4spd,std steering and brakes.No options! I had a 421 in it.

Old 02-27-2004, 07:56 PM

HI GUYS IM NEW TO THIS SITE AND WAS READING ABOUT MY UNCLE MAX STERLING AND HIS 61 VENTURA AND 62 CATALINA SD CARS, AS YOU KNOW HE SOLD THE 61 AROUND 1968 AND BOUGHT THE 62 IN 1964 HE STILL HAS THE 62 STORED AWAY NEXT TO HIS 1971 FIREBIRD FORMULA 455 HO WHITE LIGHTING CAR THAT HE ORDERED FROM THE FACTORY BRAND NEW AND HAS ONLY 7 MILES ON IT THAT I WILL BE GETTING SOON. ALSO THE 61 IS NOW NOT TO FAR FROM ME WHERE I LIVE NOW IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AND IS A COMPLETE BASKET CASE WITH EVERYTHING TAKEN OFF OF IT INCLUDING THE ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION, WHAT A SHAME THAT SOMEONE DID THIS TOO THAT CAR BUT THE OWNER OF THE CAR NOW IS GOING TO TRY TOO RESTORE IT BACK TO THE WHITE LIGHTING YEARS. AND ALSO MY UNCLE MAX STILL LIVES AROUND THE LAUREL MARYLAND AREA.

Old 02-17-2004, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I enjoyed those pictures. Especially the 'wrinkle wall slicks' Brings back memories of the 60's. thanks.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:30 PM

doug & all, rubber hammer is exactly right. of course this car had already been done when i got it. i did a few early impalas way back in my dark days. never heard of anyone using 14" slicks. i can't wait to go see max and sit on the fender of his 62 car. RIGHT!! i was talking to an old pontiac drag racer bud yesterday (mike mino) and another name from the past came up. anyone know or remember Bob Maxey?? i'll do some digging and see if i can find some pics. stay on the war path, don

Old 03-25-2004, 10:31 PM

Ya know I am the guy that's been through this whole deal with this Max Sterling 61 race car,
and I can tell you this, I am sick and tired or reading all this s--t. DONT you think for one minute that I did not spend a lot of time thinking if I would go ahead and restore what was left of the original car but lets talk about that, what was left, the frame in 6 pieces which I have a photo of, one piece of the rear inner trim pannel one door and I think Don somebody has out back behind the barn the trunk lid.
NOW Here is the part that you all (and I think you guys know who you are) IF you change the VIN tag and re stamp numbers from one body & frame to another I KNOW that is against the LAW
NOW anyone who wants to step up and admit that, I am sure as hell DONT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So as the sun set in the old west I can put my feet up on the porch rail and know I made the right decision.

The Following User Says Thank You to sd dave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2004, 02:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

64 That color looks close to the color of my 63 GP I had nice. Thanks for the picture on Max's 61 that looks like the same picture from Smoke Signals.

Old 01-30-2004, 05:09 AM

Donpontiac;
You're right. What a fantastic thread this has been. I started off just curious as to what had become of another old '61 and end up with a small novel. It's great hearing from everyone out there and all your experiences. Keep the pix and stories flowing. Thanks, Doug

Old 02-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Senior Chief

he donpontiac,
i was born and raised in virginia...arlington/fairfax area. (read my 50's & 60's topic in the stories section)
anyway,i've got an uncle who lives in orange county VA. he live on
mallorys ford rd. gordonsville.
anywhere near you?
really surprised me to see someone from orange county.

Old 02-20-2004, 10:48 AM

donpontiac(or anyone else);
Just looking at the picture of the '61 White Lightning and wondering how did you deal with fitting the 15" slicks in the rear wheel wells? I remember a bit of rubber hammer work to sort of flare the corners in out of the way. Did you know of anyone that ran 14" tires? I'd seen it and tried it once or twice but just couldn't get the bite that the 15" gave. The 14's would screw up the final ratio slightly also it seems. What say you?

Old 01-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Caught this post in the late stages. Unless Don Miller @ Penske was doing 2 61 SD's; he used the White Lightning to help redo and ex-Ronnie Sox 61 SD. He had bought this car just for the pedal setup for a 61 Chevy before he found out what he had. Supposedly he had the original engine put back in his own shop! He got the car about 80% done and traded it to a friend of mine. They had ton's of paperwork with it. I wanted a shot at it to finish the resto, but it was already traded to another collector/dealer who specializing in old drag cars. I'll try to keep up with its whereabouts and see if I can get some pics to post, as he is a friend also. It is supposedly a blue car.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 01-22-2004, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

DON: Do you remember this car??

Outlaw Pontiac Racers Association"For Those Who Live The Legend"
Do it now fool! Life is short.

60 Ventura 4300# 12.38 @ 108.10 / 1.66 60'

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..

Last edited by 60man; 12-09-2006 at 08:57 PM.