Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-18-2023, 10:01 PM

Default Sleeves

Today I was able to pull the seized engine and trans from the 1979 W72 Trans Am I bought two weeks ago. When i tore the engine apart it was clear why the engine was seized up, it looks like water sat in the #2 cylinder for quite a while. #2 is so pitted, i dont think it will clean up with a 60 overbore. How hard/expensive is it to sleeve one cylinder in a 400 block? I would try to find another block, but non 557 blocks are hard to find around here. This engine looks like somebody spun the bearings, pulled the block, looked at the bearings and then slammed the engine back in to sell the car. Must have set outside for a little bit and got water in the engine.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It shouldn't be a big deal to sleeve a cylinder. Approx $200-$400 for that job. If the engine is original to the car by all means try to save it.

Old 08-19-2023, 01:35 AM
Senior Chief

I would try to save it if numbers matching. Less money than another block and will be fine for the street. If you’re going racing, then sourcing another block makes sense. 557 blocks have a bad rep but they’re perfectly fine for the street and are practically free these days. They make for a great budget build.

Is the 79 TA the one you bought at Iowa auction? It’s unfortunate about the water.

Old 08-19-2023, 09:49 AM

Yes, this is the engine that was in the car I bought at the Waverly auction. It was pretty "interesting" somebody pulled the engine in the past, lost the flywheel clutch and pressure plate, inspected the rod bearings, put the pan back on, and put the partially disassembled engine back in the car.

Old 08-19-2023, 10:35 AM
Senior Chief

That is a lot of work just to put the engine back in. Perhaps he had big plans that were short circuited by the buying of the next car and it was a space saving move to store the engine back in the car.

Old 08-19-2023, 10:57 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My guess is to keep all the numbers matching parts together for a future resto/build.

Old 08-19-2023, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any decent machine shop should be able to sleeve it. Doing a single cylinder won't be very expensive.

Old 08-19-2023, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stay away from any shop wanting to use a thin wall liner. Additionally, they should be machining a step at the bottom of the bore to support the bottom of the sleeve.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2023, 09:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a 421 that’s .030 over and has one sleeve. There is definitely a step at the bottom of the bore to support the sleeve. What would be considered a thin wall liner vs a proper one?

Old 08-22-2023, 04:37 PM

Found out today that the machine shop I normally use closed this spring, so now I need to find a new shop to do block prep. Does anybody know a reputable shop in central Iowa that has a Pontiac torque plate?

Old 08-22-2023, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The SD 455 block I found in salvage yard. Was sleeved in #5 when I found it. We bored it +.030. I've raced it for 30 yrs. Just stk hp though.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2023, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My block is sleeved and seems fine so far.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDYA View Post
I have a 421 that’s .030 over and has one sleeve. There is definitely a step at the bottom of the bore to support the sleeve. What would be considered a thin wall liner vs a proper one?
Any sleeve with a wall thickness of .125 or less. They just don’t hold up.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-22-2023, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If this is the same block on facebook most likely its trash. Post some pics!

Old 08-23-2023, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
The SD 455 block I found in salvage yard. Was sleeved in #5 when I found it. We bored it +.030. I've raced it for 30 yrs. Just stk hp though.
How bad could it be?

Didn't H-0 Racing sleeve All 8 cylinders on a Standard 455 block and it was the block in the 74 SD TA the day it set the NHRA National E.T. And Speed record in 1977

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 08-23-2023, 06:19 AM

My engine machining instructor used to say a improvement was to sleeve all 8. Would guess it was based on the quality of cast iron sleeves are made of.

Old 08-23-2023, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before aftermarket blocks became readily available for many makes including Pontiac, repair sleeves were the only way to save rare, or highly desirable blocks with cylinder damage. To sleeve all 8 cylinders correctly, it is a very time consuming and pretty expensive operation, especially with manual machine equipment. Before we got our semi-CNC Rottler boring mill, it was a 8 hour operation to install 8 sleeves, not including surfacing and honing them after they were installed. So by the time you had 8 sleeves purchased, bored the block and installed them, square decked the block and torque plate honed it you had around $2000.00 in that operation not including any additional machine work. At that point you are very close to the cost of a far superior aftermarket block. But if numbers matching, OE stuff is the goal, sleeves are still an option. Couple years ago we installed 8 sleeves in a early 64 426 Hemi Plymouth lightweight car. Numbers matching deal. The block was windowed in several places from decades old engine failures and had lifter valley damage and 2 long freeze cracks between the freeze plugs. Owner had everything fixed and it was just fine at least on the dyno. He could have bought 2 new Indy Cylinder Heads iron hemi blocks for what he had in that old, blown up, cracked OE hemi. It just depends what your end goal and desires are as the owner. Almost anything can be repaired unless the problem is internal where there is no access.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2023, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

X 2, Mike. We limited the number of sleeves we would install in “V” diesel blocks to two per bank, but not side by side. Gas “V” blocks were limited to one per bank. Anyone who has ever heard the cracking and popping of a block while sleeves are installed understands precisely how much material is removed from an engine block to install a single sleeve.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 08-23-2023, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAGeodude View Post
Found out today that the machine shop I normally use closed this spring, so now I need to find a new shop to do block prep. Does anybody know a reputable shop in central Iowa that has a Pontiac torque plate?
PM sent

Old 08-23-2023, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post

. Couple years ago we installed 8 sleeves in a early 64 426 Hemi Plymouth lightweight car. Numbers matching deal. The block was windowed in several places from decades old engine failures and had lifter valley damage and 2 long freeze cracks between the freeze plugs. Owner had everything fixed and it was just fine at least on the dyno. He could have bought 2 new Indy Cylinder Heads iron hemi blocks for what he had in that old, blown up, cracked OE hemi. It just depends what your end goal and desires are as the owner. Almost anything can be repaired unless the problem is internal where there is no access.
Good for all the folks involved in the project. Much more ethical than the restamp process so commonly perferred to these days. I'm guessing the owner was restoring the car for his personal collection rather than assembling to resell.