THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-13-2021, 10:00 PM
Boost Engineer

Default Learned something today

I read in the paper today that some people wonder why we have different numbers for Viruses.
I guess I am one of those people too.

One person mentioned that we have Virus #19, so what happened to Virus 1 thru #18?
And How did we fight them in the past? Good question. I did not have a clue until tonight.

So the paper said that the given Virus #19 did not have 18 other virus events before it.
Virus #19 was first identified in 2019 by the Medical Doctors and Research people that work
in our medical fields.

So as the Topic Header says. I learned a new thing today.

I also learned from Tom Wilhite (a old time Kansas PONTIAC racer), that 1957 Pontiac Crank
Snouts were shorter in length vs the later 1950s, 60s, 70s, and 80s cranks. He also said that ATI
Harmonic Balancers are building him the first performance Balancer for those engines. 1957 & 1958
So today has been a good day for learning. If you have one of those engines laying around, you
need either the stock balancer or the new ATI unit.

Post up anything in the way of NEW INFO that might be of interest to others where they would learn
a new Fact. This is NOT a POLITICAL THREAD.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 04-13-2021 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,I used 2 57 cranks in my 303 Stroker RA V builds and the snout was the same as 421 SD cranks and I used stock 69-70 RA V balancers on them.FWIW,Tom

The Following User Says Thank You to tom s For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
I read in the paper today that some people wonder why we have different numbers for Viruses.
I guess I am one of those people too.

One person mentioned that we have Virus #19, so what happened to Virus 1 thru #18?
And How did we fight them in the past? Good question. I did not have a clue until tonight.

So the paper said that the given Virus #19 did not have 18 other virus events before it.
Virus #19 was first identified in 2019 by the Medical Doctors and Research people that work
in our medical fields.

So as the Topic Header says. I learned a new thing today.

I also learned from Tom Wilhite (a old time Kansas PONTIAC racer), that 1957 Pontiac Crank
Snouts were shorter in length vs the later 1950s, 60s, 70s, and 80s cranks. He also said that ATI
Harmonic Balancers are building him the first performance Balancer for those engines. 1957 & 1958
So today has been a good day for learning. If you have one of those engines laying around, you
need either the stock balancer or the new ATI unit.

Post up anything in the way of NEW INFO that might be of interest to others where they would learn
a new Fact. This is NOT a POLITICAL THREAD.

Tom V.

Yeah my post wasn’t Political either but guess what?

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
The Following User Says Thank You to Firedup6975 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2021, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Cancelled!!

Old 04-14-2021, 07:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Learned that online auctions are "hot". I won a Hammond Organ for $1.10, so i picked it up yesterday, vacuumed and oiled the cabinet, cleaned the tubes, and it plays like new.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Learned that online auctions are "hot". I won a Hammond Organ for $1.10, so i picked it up yesterday, vacuumed and oiled the cabinet, cleaned the tubes, and it plays like new.
Was it a B3?

Mom still has dads settup in the upstairs room of her house he built for music and a pool table. Even has a Leslie hooked up to it.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned a new thing yesterday. In the world of vintage stereo speakers, there are 4 ohm and 8 ohm. I have had amp issues running big Cerwin Vega's, can't run high volume, auto protect on amp shuts it down. Found out my prize speakers are 4 ohm and my amp 8 ohm. So I need to buy speakers or an amp. An 8 ohm amp works twice as hard powering 4 ohm speakers. This was probably a $1000 bit of knowledge. Aaarrgghh.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Was it a B3?

Mom still has dads settup in the upstairs room of her house he built for music and a pool table. Even has a Leslie hooked up to it.
A B3 and a Leslie go together. Think Greg Allman. In good shape they are worth some good money too. They were made from 1954 - 1974.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterp266 View Post
A B3 and a Leslie go together. Think Greg Allman. In good shape they are worth some good money too. They were made from 1954 - 1974.
That is who I think of. Roadies earned their money lugging B3 and Leslie from gig to gig. And he always took two of them, with a back up. What do they go for?

Old 04-14-2021, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Uhhhh let me guess......banished to the clubhouse, or edited unnecessarily?

That's an easy one to learn...........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 04-14-2021, 10:53 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Tom,I used 2 57 cranks in my 303 Stroker RA V builds and the snout was the same as 421 SD cranks and I used stock 69-70 RA V balancers on them.FWIW,Tom
Good info. Were your cranks forged or cast? What is the size of the main journals in the stroker blocks you built.
2.5?
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-14-2021, 11:04 AM

Speaking or viruses... from the almost too absurd to be true file, ~500 million airborne viruses land on each human being every day, most of these come from the ocean surface..

Old 04-14-2021, 11:37 AM

Not sure if I am going to use either of these tricks but sounded interesting as I have never seen or done either of these things before. I was watching a old episode of roadkill and the guys were saying the carb was running rough from sitting to long. So they revved the engine up and let it idle down some. Then they shoved a rag over the airhorn of carb. That was supposed to help suck any carbon/debris in carb passages down the intake. I have heard of placing hand over the carb to see if car idles up or down to detect a lean/rich condition but not to suck out carbon/debris from carb passages.
The second one was I was watching Street Outlaws mega cash days and someone tried breaking out some aluminum foil to try and fix an exhaust leak. I have never heard of this one either but interesting they would try this on a high horsepower motor.

Old 04-14-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Was it a B3?

I picture Jon Lord from Deep Purple when I hear B3. Not many could rock out like him.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
That is who I think of. Roadies earned their money lugging B3 and Leslie from gig to gig. And he always took two of them, with a back up. What do they go for?
I played in a few bar bands in my youth. Started out 'gigging' about 1979. At one time we had a really good keyboard player. He had a Wurlitzer electric piano, and an old large cabinet wurlitzer organ, along with a leslie. He was kind of spindly, me and the bass player were the strongest guys in the band and were always relegated to moving that blasted organ and leslie. I think the speaker was about as heavy as the organ! Boy did those things take a beating.
But, I had a blast and wouldnt trade the memories.

Pops leslie on the other hand, still looks like the day it was bought.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
One person mentioned that we have Virus #19 ...
Naming was based on the regions in which they were discovered. The Spanish Flu.
West Nile Virus. Hanta Virus. Zika Virus. Ebola Virus. Guinea Worm. Lyme Disease.

The Norovirus is named after none other than Norwalk, Ohio...

Old 04-14-2021, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
Not sure if I am going to use either of these tricks but sounded interesting as I have never seen or done either of these things before. I was watching a old episode of roadkill and the guys were saying the carb was running rough from sitting to long. So they revved the engine up and let it idle down some. Then they shoved a rag over the airhorn of carb. That was supposed to help suck any carbon/debris in carb passages down the intake. I have heard of placing hand over the carb to see if car idles up or down to detect a lean/rich condition but not to suck out carbon/debris from carb passages.
The second one was I was watching Street Outlaws mega cash days and someone tried breaking out some aluminum foil to try and fix an exhaust leak. I have never heard of this one either but interesting they would try this on a high horsepower motor.
the carb trick referred to does indeed work a lot of times. We do it in my shop by
revving the engine and choking the air horn down with a rag at the same time.
In my shop we refer to this as doing a "Mexican carb overhaul".

Old 04-14-2021, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLBIII View Post
I picture Jon Lord from Deep Purple when I hear B3. Not many could rock out like him.
Jon actually played a C3 but ya, awesome keyboard player for sure!

Old 04-14-2021, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I learned this a few days ago:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-14 Our Hagerstown Tymes Facebook.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	564743  

Old 04-14-2021, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They were forged and we cut the mains too 2.5 and the rods to BBC.Tom