The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-05-2016, 12:35 PM
Senior Chief

Default Inside cowl door jamb area rust treatment or panel replace

I have rust on the inside of the cowl/door jamb area on my 77 trans am. I thought about sanding blasting in the panel, cutting a hole in the bottom of the rocker to let the sand come out of, and treating the meral under the rust. The problem is it appears to be rotted some. I wanna repair this right. This seems to be a common area for rust on these cars. Classic industries has a 30% off sale until midnight todsy and I can get the cowl area with a rocker at a bit of a discount. Here is the rocker with the cowl panels. My car is rusted inside of this panel where the door hinges bolt to. http://www.classicindustries.com/pro...ts/k44506.html

What route would you guys take? What route have you tekn. I know people have been here. Common to see rust in this area.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Old 09-05-2016, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The part Classic sells is a good fitting piece. This is what it looks like when you have one cut apart. The black cowl top is a new part.
You will need to brace your A pillar from dropping or moving inward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3011.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	436141   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3012.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	436142  

Old 09-05-2016, 04:21 PM
Senior Chief

So r u suggesting that I purchase the full rockers? I realize that may be the best thing to do. How does the sheet metal thickness on the classic industry panels compare to stock?

Old 09-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

4 spd ur inbox is full. Here is my reply: Well the cowl panel comes with the full rocker. Are you saying you didn't use it all and spliced into part of the remaining factory rocker to make sure you were maintaining factory geometry?

Also, can u by chance get a better picture of the base of the A pillar where it meets the cowl? I'm also going to be replacing my r top roof with a solid roof off a donor TA I bought and I'm having a real hard time determining where panels begin and end on either car. It looks like you have all this figured out and the welds drilled out on your car. Some pics a little further up from where you ended your 2 pica you posted here would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Schroeder; 09-05-2016 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Senior Chief

4 spd, what year of car did you install the full rocker on? I'm not having problems with my install, but I am wondering why it's specified as a 70-73 rocker. Are there any differences between the early and late 2nd gen rockers?
It would NOT be the first panel I found on these cars where re-pops are listed as being for only the early cars but are the EXACT same as the late 2nd gen panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk