Old 03-06-2017, 01:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 69 Ram Air Questions

Also posted in 69-71 Judges section

Upper pan is currently attached to the hood but I need to remove it to install flapper housing / flapper to the scoops and I have several questions about the process:

1. Is there any issues with removing the pan from the underside of the hood while the hood us still on the car ?

2. Can you purchase the screws / nuts to mount the flapper housing to the scoops separately? I have an original housing I'm going to use but no mounting screws. Can anyone share any tips on installing housing / flapper assembly to the scoops. Can any share pictures of how the housing should look when correctly installed ?

3. Should I install the upper / lower cable connection assembly to the upper pan while the pan is off the hood? I know the cables will need to be connected and correctly adjusted when the pan is back on the hood.

Thanks in advance for all the help

Old 03-07-2017, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I work on a lot of these ram air hoods in my shop, and I would
not attempt what you are undertaking with the hood on the car. What I do is I bought an inflatable mattress with a built in air pump from a sporting goods
store that I use for working on ram air hoods. I air up the matress, cover it with a blanket, then I can safely lay the hood upside down on the air mattress and go to
town on it. One problem that you may encounter is that the holes in the hood
for the upper pan screws tend to strip out no matter how careful you are not
to overtighten the screws. My original ram air hood did this back in the 70's. What
I did is buy bolt thread inserts from a hardware store to install in the hood then
I used threaded bolts instead of screw type bolts to hold the pan on. Once the threaded bolts are installed they look just like the screw type bolts as the heads are identical. You will need to be very careful installing the flapper to the back of the scoops as the the holes in the scoops can split out on you if you over tighten the screws. It's good that you have an original flapper because the repros do not
fit and the screw holes will not line up with the scoops, causing a lot of fabrication to make it work. you will need to install the upper cable and bracket to the pan while the hood is off and upside down, then install the hood on the car and then hook up the lower cable to the upper cable junction block. New pan to hood bolts are available from Ames. For flapper bushings you have to buy a repro flapper assy to get the hardware. For the screws that hold the flappers to
the scoops, you will need to get 5/16 headed screws from the hardware store.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very helpful, thanks !!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess the other option might to mock up the cables and leave the open scoops, I guess people who looked closely would see the lack of the foam seal between flapper housing and the scoops, would also be a judging issue too I guess

Old 03-14-2017, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I need to change out the foam seal on my upper pan as it's deteriorating. I also do not have the upper hose lines connected, I bought the car that way. Do I have to remove the hood to accomplish these task? My car is a 69 RAIII Judge.
Thanks.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I do on my upper foam seal is I buy a new seal and cut off the rear
section of it and stuff it in between the hood and the pan with everything put together. The rear part is all anybody sees, so why bother with installing the whole thing? That way when the foam starts looking bad, I change it out in 5 minutes.
The other thing I do is that I do not glue the lower foam seal to the air cleaner base, and I keep the seal in the trunk and pop it on the air cleaner when I get to
a car show. That way the seal stays looking nice and crisp and not all collapsed and
discolored from engine heat......and I can change it out for a new one in 5 seconds when it starts to look old. Before I started doing these things my foam seals always looked like crap on an otherwise pristine engine compartment.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
I work on a lot of these ram air hoods in my shop, and I would
not attempt what you are undertaking with the hood on the car. What I do is I bought an inflatable mattress with a built in air pump from a sporting goods
store that I use for working on ram air hoods. I air up the matress, cover it with a blanket, then I can safely lay the hood upside down on the air mattress and go to
town on it. One problem that you may encounter is that the holes in the hood
for the upper pan screws tend to strip out no matter how careful you are not
to overtighten the screws. My original ram air hood did this back in the 70's. What
I did is buy bolt thread inserts from a hardware store to install in the hood then
I used threaded bolts instead of screw type bolts to hold the pan on. Once the threaded bolts are installed they look just like the screw type bolts as the heads are identical. You will need to be very careful installing the flapper to the back of the scoops as the the holes in the scoops can split out on you if you over tighten the screws. It's good that you have an original flapper because the repros do not
fit and the screw holes will not line up with the scoops, causing a lot of fabrication to make it work. you will need to install the upper cable and bracket to the pan while the hood is off and upside down, then install the hood on the car and then hook up the lower cable to the upper cable junction block. New pan to hood bolts are available from Ames. For flapper bushings you have to buy a repro flapper assy to get the hardware. For the screws that hold the flappers to
the scoops, you will need to get 5/16 headed screws from the hardware store.
So would the steps be:

1) carefully install the flapper housing / flapper door assembly to the scoops without over tightening the screws to the scoops
2) install the the upper cable to the flapper door assembly
3) install the upper pan
4) install upper cable and bracket to the pan
5) install the hood