THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Attending an NHRA Event

My wife and I have traveled from coast to coast attending dirt track, NASCAR and road course events. This is an interest we have shared since we were dating in HS.

We have been to a few smaller local drag racing events and I did help put on the Jim Wanger's All Pontiac Drags for the 2001 GTOAA/POCI convention held in MN back in 2001 where I did get a chance to put the GTO on the track.

But we want to go to one of the big shows this summer to check off another bucket list item...

Based on our current schedules - the times/locations that seem to fit:

June 17-19 Bristol Dragway • Bristol, TN

June 23-26 Summit Motorsports Park • Norwalk, OH

July 22-24 Bandimere Speedway • Denver, CO

Aug. 31-Sept. 5 Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis • Indianapolis, IN

I'd be interested to hear from folks that have attended the major shows.

Do we get an all events ticket and spend all 3 - 6 days at the track?

Do we just go to the finals? Do we just go on Saturday?

If anyone has been to any of these tracks - tips on getting in, best seat locations, traffic issues getting in and getting out...

Bottom line - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Night qualifying at the Indy US Nationals is very cool. Huge crowd, great track, the best of the best will be there.

Old 02-29-2016, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's also the national event at Brainerd in August: http://brainerdraceway.com/nhra-nationals/ It's closer to home, too. A friend of mine has a resort about 20 minutes north of the track that's a nice place to stay. http://www.ruttgerspinemountain.com

Old 02-29-2016, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mgarblik - I can imagine the night action would be fun. I've been to several NASCAR night races and of course dirt tracks run at night.

Stuart - I am aware of Brainerd, but my family reunion conflicts with that weekend. We always thought that Brainerd would be the one we'd go to first - but based on our schedules - one of the four I listed will most likely be where we go.

Old 02-29-2016, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The US Nationals is one to see.
The traffic can be bad if wanting out of there quickly.
Also hotels maybe more expensive then.

I would think Norwalk would be cool also.

Gatornational in 2.5 weeks.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-29-2016, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

A national event can be a neat deal, depends on how the track is laid out and how much walking you can/or want to do. I too want to attend the Mile High race. A good friend went a couple of times back in the 90's, really enjoyed it! It's a beautiful setting for a race!

I might try to attend the divisional there, June 17-19, bringing a friend, depending on his health..
When you go to the Denver race look for Scott Burton with his 70 B stock formula. He's good to talk to, and will appreciate the fact that you are a Pontiac enthusiast. His son Brad may or may not be there, he lives in Washington state these days.

Racing on Sunday will allow you to only see the "qualified" cars run. Attending Friday and Saturday allows you to basically see every competitor that came to race, make a pass, this can be a good thing, and allows you to mingle in a the pits and talk to the racers,also. The last year that IHRA was thriving (about 5 years ago), my Pontiac buddies and I attended a national event in Tulsa. Really enjoyed the mega cubic inch pro stockers. The icing on that trip was getting to talk to Jon Kaase in the pits. We ran out of questions to ask him, really enjoyed talking to him!!!
Have fun, sounds like a great plan!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 02-29-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bring earplugs! I am extra cautious to keep what I have left, so I wear ear plugs plus a headset - so do my kids.

You'd think it would go without saying, but I'm always shocked at how many people don't.

Old 03-01-2016, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been to several Nationals over the years and even though I sometimes stay for all 3 days I enjoy qualifying the most. The pace is slower and the owners and crew are more likely to spend a minute and talk to you. Also you get to see the cars that will never be in the main event.

Old 03-01-2016, 06:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been to Indy and Norwalk many times. Bristol is on my bucket list. Indy is the biggest in terms of car count. Norwalk knows how to put on a great show and has wonderful facilities. I like to go on Friday or Saturday with my preference towards Friday. Less crowd and Friday night under the lights is cool. Norwalk has always had fireworks immediately following the last session, but it has been July 4 weekend. They changed it this year. I bet they will still do the fireworks though. I'm going to be there.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris65LeMans View Post
Bring earplugs! I am extra cautious to keep what I have left, so I wear ear plugs plus a headset - so do my kids.

You'd think it would go without saying, but I'm always shocked at how many people don't.
Chris

We have our NASCAR scanners with headsets. Can you listen in on team communications like you do at NASCAR races. We can also pickup the radio broadcast at the tracks too.

Old 03-01-2016, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John - not worried about hotel costs - we'll use Hilton points to stay for free (have about a half million of them).

Trashcan and Goatracer - Good thoughts on going to early days to see more variety and a more relaxed pace and more time to chat in the pits.

Hillard - Night racing is cool - been to many Cup races at night. Fireworks to end it would be great.

Old 03-01-2016, 11:54 AM

We went to most of the events when they came to Memphis.
Which ever track ya'll choose be sure to get a PIT PASS.
Most of the drivers are fan friendly!

Old 03-01-2016, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Chris

We have our NASCAR scanners with headsets. Can you listen in on team communications like you do at NASCAR races. We can also pickup the radio broadcast at the tracks too.
I actually use just some safety hearing protection (no radio) units that I originally bought for indoor shooting. They have an announcer who broadcasts on a LOUD (no problem hearing through the protection) system that is strung out over the 1/4 mile. I doubt that they have any radio broadcasts: I don't see anyone with radios.

I go to Pomona once or twice a year (season opener and closer), and it sounds like they are a little different from "out east." A lot of people on here are saying "get a pit pass," but every ticket is a pit pass in Pomona. (You walk through the pits to get from the parking lots to the track.)

If you've never seen the nitro cars race in person, the noise just can't be explained in words. It is rattle your teeth loud.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:49 PM

Just some comments on certain locations.

Indy is the "Big Go", it's the biggest race for the drivers.

Norwalk has a great facility and famous for cheap ice cream.

Bristol has a echo that goes on and on through the valley that will amaze you.

Denver is high altitude and the cars run a little slower.