Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-24-2009, 02:25 AM

Default Engine Noise

I just drove my 67 Goat home and it ran fine but I noticed a knocking sound at mid to high rpm. It quiets down at low idle and you can only really hear it when you give it gas. If I let the car sit for a little bit you can hear it clang for a few seconds and then it goes away. Just had the heads done, new valves, surfaced and new pushrods. Just dropped the motor a few days ago and it was not rebuilt because the shortblock was still in good shape. Valves needed to be gone through as the engine sat for about 4-5 years. Put break-in lube when it was reassembled. Hope I don't have to pull the motor but was looking for advice or suggestions on what it might be. I know it is not an exhaust leak as I checked for that and have heard them before from my other Pontiac's. Thanks.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to pontiac 455ho

could be amain bering. or a rod. i last engine blew the front main bearing and it made the same sound. and it got worse when the engine was warmnd up . i got a wood stick put in next to the balencer and heard it and felt it. good luck

Old 11-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a rod bearing go that would do that as well. When cold you couldnt hear it at all.

Old 11-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When the engine is knocking remove or short out a spark plug wire one at a time . The noise will go away if the offending cylinder has a rod knock. (as the spark plug is shorted out).
I had a Ford 302 that the front main bearing knocked when the vacuum advance was attached directly to manifold vacuum. When I switched to ported vacuum the knock went away.

Old 11-26-2009, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Me 68GTO has developed the same sort of noise (after having blown the Oil Adapter gasket on the road & emptied the sump & being run-till-it stalled by my brother). Just maybe he left the Switch-Pitch in High stall while the motor was stone cold huh. NO biggie.

I re-flattened the oil adapter & adapter block (long Branch stuff) & it's leak-free. Yet driving reveals a medium rap at high RPM. SOOOOOOOO, when I'm done the 70 Judge re-assy, my 68 GTO goes in the bay for a pan drop and inspect ALL the bearings. Rod uppers & Main Lowers. Luckly I gots a roll of Journal-emory-paper. Just Maybe some upgrades can occur.

Old 11-26-2009, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Being that I can`t hear it, I`d check the work that you did to it first.
How`s the oil pressure? Kinda sounds like a bearing knock. Was the engine doing this before the head work?

Old 11-26-2009, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Loose convertor bolt?

Old 11-30-2009, 11:35 PM

It was a rod bearing. It is at the machine shop and the motor is going for a rebuild. Can't wait to get it back on the road! Thanks for all your help. I tried the spark plug method and it was the #7 cylinder/rod.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck with the Re-Refresh.

I hoped for the converter bolt, but my noise occurs at WOT. Silent at idle and light cruise.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firegoat View Post
Valves needed to be gone through as the engine sat for about 4-5 years.
What? Valves don't go bad from sitting. Valve seals might, but the valves themselves certainly would not.