73-77 A-body TECH Includes 73GTO, LeMans, Grand Am, Can Am

Old 04-30-2007, 01:35 PM

Question TH400 trans question.

Ok, I’ll try to explain this the best I can. 1974 Grand Am , 400, TH400 trans with B&M shift kit. The problem I’m having is the car will shift ok until it warms up. After that, it will shift from 1st to 2nd at 3000 rpm, and 2nd to 3rd at 3400 rpm. Whenever the rpm’s fall below 2500 in 3rd gear, it will drop back down to 2nd even though I’m going 50mph. the vacuum is coming off the manifold and I’ve tried a new modulator. My question is, is this normal or is there something wrong? Is there a way to fix or change this? Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM

It sounds to me like you have a valve body problem. When the shift kit was installed a check ball may have been misplaced, or forgotten. Or a hole could have been drilled wrong. It dosent sound like it is anything to bad. Should be just a simple fix.

Old 04-30-2007, 04:55 PM

thanks, i know this is a stretch, but does anyone have the instructions for those kits? it was a while ago that it was installed, and i cant seem to find it. i think it was a transpak. thanks.