Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-19-2000, 08:58 PM

I intended to order the melling high pressure pump M-54-F but got the M-54-DS by mistake. I won't have time to ship it back for the right one before I button things up. I am wondering if anyone knows if the pumps are the same with the exception of the pressure releif spring and cap? If so I can just install the spring and cap from my old pump onto the new one and have the pump I originally wanted in the first place? The old pump is still OK but I had some debris from a hammered bearing go through it last season and just wanted to start with a fresh pump this year for peace of mind.

Old 05-19-2000, 08:58 PM

I intended to order the melling high pressure pump M-54-F but got the M-54-DS by mistake. I won't have time to ship it back for the right one before I button things up. I am wondering if anyone knows if the pumps are the same with the exception of the pressure releif spring and cap? If so I can just install the spring and cap from my old pump onto the new one and have the pump I originally wanted in the first place? The old pump is still OK but I had some debris from a hammered bearing go through it last season and just wanted to start with a fresh pump this year for peace of mind.

Old 05-19-2000, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They are the same pump. Years back HO racing sold a kit to convert your standard 60psi pump to an 80psi with the SD455 spring and retainer/cap. I had done a few and never had an issue with them.

[This message has been edited by WARPed (edited 05-19-2000).]

Old 05-20-2000, 12:21 AM

Thanks WARPED, engine assembly shall commence tommorow as planned then it's off to my chassis shop for header fabrication. Just wanted to make sure what I was going to do was OK.

Old 05-20-2000, 01:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bracket,

You can put a .200 shim (washer)under the spring and accomplish the same thing.

Tim Corcoran