Old 06-03-2024, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 2 door vs. 4 door carpet

So now that we've determined the carpet color, we're looking to put carpet in my son's 65 Tempest crew cab. I see that a couple of places offer 4 door carpet, but they say auto only. My son's car has a floor shifted 3 speed. I contacted one place, and they said they don't make 4 door carpet for floor shift manual. I asked if I could buy the front piece for a 2 door 4 speed, and the back piece for a 4 door, but they said they can't separate kits. They suggested I buy 2 sets of carpet and just use what I need. Not a useful option for a 17 year old on a taco bell salary.

So....I have no doubt that the front carpet for a 2 door will fit his 4 door. I'm thinking we could just buy 2 door carpet and it should be wide enough to go under the rear door sills? It's been a while since I put carpet in one of these cars; aren't they usually cut longer/wider and you have to trim them to fit? Has anyone tried this?

Thanks,
Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 06-03-2024, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's usually a few inches of overlap between the front and rear carpet you might get away with.

I wonder how a B body carpet would fit

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express
2024 Cadillac LYRIQ

Old 06-03-2024, 05:07 PM

There appears to be a fair bit of difference between the rear section for a 2 dr and rear section for a 4 door Lemans or Tempest. Does the three speed have a shift porch on the floor ? If no then go with the 4 door. If yes and you go with the 2 dr for m/t you may need an extra 1/2 yard of material to piece in at the rear. Check the images on ACC's web site, drill down by year, make, model and # of doors and transmission for an image of each.

Last edited by madeuce50; 06-03-2024 at 05:10 PM. Reason: train of tought
Old 06-03-2024, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madeuce50 View Post
There appears to be a fair bit of difference between the rear section for a 2 dr and rear section for a 4 door Lemans or Tempest. Does the three speed have a shift porch on the floor ? If no then go with the 4 door. If yes and you go with the 2 dr for m/t you may need an extra 1/2 yard of material to piece in at the rear. Check the images on ACC's web site, drill down by year, make, model and # of doors and transmission for an image of each.
Yes, it has the same shift porch as my 66 GTO. I guess I need to pull the back seats out of both cars and compare the floor. I will also look at the pictures.

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 06-03-2024, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

what color i have a brand new parchment (goldish) one in the box