Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-20-2012, 02:14 PM

Default Tri Power Problems

I have a 66 GTO with a 400 block thats been reworked with Stump Puller cam 230/236 @ 50 % the motor is all roller with 6X4 heads. Installed the tri-power set up changed linkage did away with the choke cross over plugged. Totally rebuilt all carbs they are all 66 correct with Wassons kits. Drilled jets out to .068 also opened up the idle circuit .
Problem car surges under 2200 rpm no matter what gear Im in I m running a 355 gear with a Tremec 5 speed. Took carbs apart had bad needle seat in rear carb in fact changed
all of them out reset floats runs better still surging .
Anyone have any suggestions....

Old 05-20-2012, 02:26 PM
Suspended

Neches river (smile).

Old 05-20-2012, 02:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the same problem with my tripower '65 and it turned out to be too much spark advance. I installed an adjustable vacuum advance unit, and limited the amount of advance a bit, and it fixed the problem. Try driving it with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged off. It'll only take a minute, and if it doesn't fix it, you know that's not the problem....

Old 05-20-2012, 04:19 PM

Default Where Have You Been

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
I had the same problem with my tripower '65 and it turned out to be too much spark advance. I installed an adjustable vacuum advance unit, and limited the amount of advance a bit, and it fixed the problem. Try driving it with the vacuum line disconnected and plugged off. It'll only take a minute, and if it doesn't fix it, you know that's not the problem....
Thanks that fixed 75% of the problem I have a Summit distributor in it with a Blaster
type coil may have to change some of the springs around will call Summit.
Have a good one and keep it between the lines.