Old 06-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Turn signal switch - Boyne vs. Guide

Anyone know why there are two different turn signal switches for 64-66 A-bodies? Seems two are available for the same applications without tilt wheel. One stamped Boyne and the other Guide. Is one a better fit? Thanks

Old 06-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm not sure "why" other than probably a tactical move by GM. Two suppliers bidding for the business is better than one. One does not fit better than the other. I think the steering column tube is specific to BPC or Guide. Not sure, could just be a difference between 64 and 65 stuff. 65's have two locating notches on the end of the tube and 64's have one.

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 06-12-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My recollection is that not only are the turn signal harness be different between the manufacturers, but so would the dash harness. I learned this the hard way when I tried to install a 66 hazard warning system into a car with a Boyne harness. (plugs between the turn signal harness and dash harness)

Old 06-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
My recollection is that not only are the turn signal harness be different between the manufacturers, but so would the dash harness. I learned this the hard way when I tried to install a 66 hazard warning system into a car with a Boyne harness. (plugs between the turn signal harness and dash harness)
Andre, I have a repo Boyne (BPC label) switch and my 66 hazard warning system seemed to plugin and work without a problem. The bearings in the repo Boyne switch are flopping around all over the place and I believe that might be the issue with the wheel. Since that repo Boyne switch didn't last long, I was going to try the US made Guide stamped unit that the Parts Place sells. Maybe I'm in for a suprise too. Thanks!

Old 06-14-2012, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There should be a spring that goes in front of the cancel cam. That applies an axial load on the inner race of the bearing when the steering wheel is installed. That should take up any slop you feel on the steering shaft.

In '64 there were 4 different dash harness used: No AC, No AC w/ console, AC, and AC w/ console. There is no specification for Guide or BPC steering column.

I had a "guide" turn signal switch and housing from a 64 Chevelle. It would not fit a 64 steering column that used a BPC type switch. I also noticed the overall quality of the Guide was lower. Thinner metal, obvious spot welds on the collar. (floor shift column)

Old 06-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64woodwheel View Post

In '64 there were 4 different dash harness used: No AC, No AC w/ console, AC, and AC w/ console. There is no specification for Guide or BPC steering column.
After looking at 64 MPC and Inspectors Guide there is more to the story. Other variables are Auto, Manual, 6 cyl. and V8.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

'64 GTO Tilt Steering column from Dad's car...

Anyone know which style switch this is and... Does anyone have a good spare?
His doesn't stay locked in one of the turn signal positions.

Semper Fi
Old 07-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tilt columns have the switch mounted lower on the mast. The part you see here is called an actuating yoke, and it looks good. The turn signal switch is connected to a lever inside the column with a wire. The yoke moves the lever and the lever pulls and pushes the wire connected to the switch. The position of the switch on the mast is adjustable. I do have a good spare switch if you need it.