Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-01-2017, 05:29 PM

Default 455 Pulley alignment Issues???

I'm looking for some advise/guidance. My harmonic balancer doesn't seem to be in all the way and is throwing my crank pulley and the water pump pulley out of alignment by about 3/16". I can see the balancer seated against the crank gear, it cannot go any farther. Are the balancers all the same? I ask that because the machine shop could have given me someone elses. Could it be the crank gear? It is new so it has been changed. It just looks like the balancer should be up under the edge of the timing marks on the front cover. Should I shim the water pump pulley out and move on? Here's a couple of pictures that should give an idea what I'm looking at. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	balancer.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	453567   Click image for larger version

Name:	balancer1.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	453568  

Old 05-01-2017, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the proper TQ im sure it is in the proper position.It bottoms against the bottom timing gear.Tom

Old 05-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In the second picture it looks almost like the reinforcing ring is installed behind the crank pulley. It should be on the front under bolt heads.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 Lemans View Post
In the second picture it looks almost like the reinforcing ring is installed behind the crank pulley. It should be on the front under bolt heads.
It does.^^

If not, I recall reading that later model cranks have a large radius or step of some sort where the lower timing gear meets the crank. Someone help me out here to verify this.
Is it possible the lower timing gear is on backwards or possibly it does not have a chamfer in it to clear that large radius/step? The check would be to verify lower timing gear is against the crank on the vertical front surface.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default psst

we need some pulley numbers of yours.

also what year p/s pump n pulley are you running ...

a/c ??

it looks like a 73 n newer timing cover w 4.5" water pump

Scott

Old 05-01-2017, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just compared the picture to my car and going by the timing pointers it looks to me like your balancer is seated correctly. So my guess is something with the pulley is not quite right. My car has an AC pulley too so I can't do a good comparison.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 05-01-2017, 09:33 PM

The pulleys are on temporarily just to check the alignment and the reinforcement ring is not on yet,
The lower timing gear I think will go only one way because of the taper on the front side.
I'll get the pulley numbers tomorrow, can't get to them at the moment. The power steering pump and pulley are 1969 and no ac. I was hoping that I could leave off the extra crank pulley for the ac and be good. The motor is a 1973.
Before the rebuild the balancer was far enough back that it was under the edge of the timing pointer and that is the exact amount that would make the pulleys line up perfect.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:04 PM
Suspended

What about OP's complaint about the air gap between blancer and indicator? My balancer sits flush with the indicator. I was positive it did; still, I ran downstairs and took a look. Taking a picture and posting it only verifies I told you so.

Rather than a picture fest, everyone could look at their indicator-balancer relation and report. Mine: 69 350 components on a 68 YS block.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:08 PM
Suspended

Whoops Pontguy. I didn't see your report. So what'sup with that? Posting a picture locks in the debate, not solving a thing. Need more reports.

Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sts View Post
Whoops Pontguy. I didn't see your report. So what'sup with that? Posting a picture locks in the debate, not solving a thing. Need more reports.

I can post a pic of mine but it looks just like his, the edge of my balancer is a little away from the pointer tips. 1970 455, using original 1969 350 pulleys with AC. Lines up perfectly.

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 05-02-2017, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Ragtop View Post
The pulleys are on temporarily just to check the alignment and the reinforcement ring is not on yet,
The lower timing gear I think will go only one way because of the taper on the front side.
I'll get the pulley numbers tomorrow, can't get to them at the moment. The power steering pump and pulley are 1969 and no ac. I was hoping that I could leave off the extra crank pulley for the ac and be good. The motor is a 1973.
Before the rebuild the balancer was far enough back that it was under the edge of the timing pointer and that is the exact amount that would make the pulleys line up perfect.
you can run a '68-70 2 groove crank pulley from a factory AC car, an "842", but it is best to run a round reinforcement plate behind the "842" pulley as the round plate takes up the space of a one groove AC pulley, the "843".

This style PS pump & pulley & alum mtg bracket, needs to be run with either a "128" or "130" AC diam water pump pulley. Any others won't line up! As far as the damper not sliding on, it's a good possibility the timing chain sprocket on the crank was put on backwards. Have never ran across that, but can't think of any reason the damper would not slide back correctly, unless something (the crank sprocket) was not far enough back. of course, that makes me think there is no way the timing chain set could be attached to allow that...

Old 05-02-2017, 08:01 PM

Just got the numbers off of the pulleys. The water pump pulley is 481040X1 with an S on the apposite side and the crank pulley is 9790846 YA
I guess my biggest worry is the balancer not up under the edge of the timing pointer. I looked at a couple of other Pontiac motors today and they are all up under the edge of the pointers and that is the exact amount that I need to be lined up perfect. As much as I hate to it is starting to look like the timing cover is going to have to come back off.

Old 05-02-2017, 08:22 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Exclamation balancer fit

There is definitely something to the fit of the balancer to the timing gear/crankshaft snout !! Years ago I torqued a balancer to spec and got a large BANG !! Wish I could remember better, but I certainly remember the BANG ! and parts breakage. This was a case where a balancer from another Pontiac V-8 was installed onto a 400CI motor and maybe the crank snout had a step to it ???

Old 05-02-2017, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Just got the numbers off of the pulleys. The water pump pulley is 481040X1 with an S on the apposite side and the crank pulley is 9790846 YA
I guess my biggest worry is the balancer not up under the edge of the timing pointer. I looked at a couple of other Pontiac motors today and they are all up under the edge of the pointers and that is the exact amount that I need to be lined up perfect. As much as I hate to it is starting to look like the timing cover is going to have to come back off.
I went out to the shop to have a look. You should be able to see if the lower timing gear is all the way butted up to the crank thru the fuel pump mount hole easily.

The lower gear is usually chamferd on one side and flat on the other. I put my balancer and cover on and my balancer seems to sit slightly closer to timing marks than what your picture shows. Could be image angle of incidence.
Chamferd end goes towards back of engine, easily seen if you only take balancer off.

You are working with the one yeer queer short water pump length stuff here too. The timing cover looks to be a later than a '69 . The lower is a 69 pulley the upper is a 70+, #481040XT. Irrelevant, your trouble is in the balancer depth it seems.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default hmm

I had a feeling of ... the crank key has a burr?

if the lower gear was backwards wouldnt that jack the chain crooked ?

chain looks ok in the picture

got the right fat washer under the bolt ?

I dont think that water pump pulley will line up after you get the
balancer figured out ... its your 73ish one and the power steering being'
a 69 as you mentioned with a 9786900 or 9786901 w ac ...
I dont think they line up ...

balancer first ...

Scott

Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the bottom sprocket only has the dot on the outside?Would be hard to line up backwards?Tom

Old 05-02-2017, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was able to put the gear on either way and offset appears the same on dual row chain set, don't recall brand.

I agree it would seem hard to put on backwards and align intentionally. HTH

Did you degree the cam in?
..BTW I have a 69 balancer/crank and cover with all 76 w/AC pulleys.... yet to be assembled and proven to work together

Last edited by STEELCITYFIREBIRD; 05-02-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
I think the bottom sprocket only has the dot on the outside?Would be hard to line up backwards?Tom
I had forgotten about the dot. It is only on one side.

I guess the balancer will be coming back off. Maybe I can take it up to one of the parts houses to compare the depth to a new one.

The thing is, I know that before tear down, it was up under the edge of the timing marks. I know that the crank gear is new, so that has changed. I'm not sure that the balancer is my original that I dropped off, could be someone else. There has to be an issue between the two is what I'm thinking.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Once you get the damper to properly seat, run the "846" non AC crank pulley along with a "127" WP pulley & the tall 11 bolt WP, & the belt grooves will line up with your current PS setup. The 481040 WP pulley is not 1970 & later useage, but 1971 & later, only. The 481040 & 481038 pulleys have to be used with '71 & later brackets & PS pump. Have a 55 gal drum 3/4 full of these '71 up AC application pulleys.

Old 05-02-2017, 10:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Take it apart and look at things again for assembly.

If you have timed the engine a few times, you remember stuff like the position of the degree wheel vs the timing plate.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.