Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Aluminum Valley pan oil trouble

Back when I didn't know any better I ordered this for my new engine I was building because I thought it looked cool.

Anyway, it is the older style I guess? with only an insert in it to block oil, sort of a push in baffle thing. I noticed some oil leakage around the grommet and it appears to be causing a mist or something because I can see on my air cleaner that it has oil specs on it as well as on the bottom of the hood. Appears to only happen after a high rpm situation, this car is street driven so not a lot of that going on, but it bugs me. There is no oil blow by at the valve cover breather.

Is there anything I can do to improve the situation since I don't want to replace this thing anytime soon with the stock style. Everything I have done to this car I have had to do twice, this is getting old. That pan was a pain to make fit anyway with lots of rubber mallet adjusting to get it to seal up, I would never advise using this thing.

thanks,
Kelly

Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

how olds the grommet? if its a few years old maybe it has started to dry up or shrink alittle. either try replacing it, or can clean it up and try a thin bead of sealer on it.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I seem to remember having to grind down a PCV grommet to fit this thing, I think I had to take the lip off of it since it wasn't being pressed into the steel type pan. Is there a style of grommet that fits this thing, I can see where it has been coming out around it and didn't think about that.

Doesn't seem like there should be that much pressure or force in that area should there?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it doesn't have a PCV valve in it take some "Right Stuff" and seal the grommet up.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I welded a baffle to the bottom of the pan and have zero problems with oil consumption.

66 GTO Convertible. LS3-525 HP. Legend LGT700 5-speed, Wilwood 4-wheel disc brakes, Ridetech coil over front susp, PMT rear susp, Hotchkis bars, Billet Specialties 18" Dagger's (18X9 rear, 18X8 front).
2002 Ram Air WS.6 convertible Trans Am. Wife's car.