Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-27-2015, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Destroked 455 Pistons - Custom or Off the Shelf?

If I were to use my 428 crank in my .030 455 block, what Pistons are there? Some will ask why not just build the 455? I don't need the extra grunt and like the thought of something different that should be more balanced...

Just a thought

Thanks

Old 11-27-2015, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stock 428 bore is 4.12, same as a 400.

Stock 455 bore is 4.15", so the same as a 428 at +.030"

If you bore your 455 block +.030" you could then run +.060" 428 pistons with the 428 crank.

I'm a big fan of the 4" stroke. Easier to get traction on the street, just as much power at the top end.

Custom pistons can be ordered in pretty much any size, the limiting factor is ring availability.

The last 455 block/428 crank combo I built was based on a 4.185" bore size. (428 +.065"/455 +.035") This is a common Chevy bore size and rings are readily available. Pistons were custom dished units from Ross since the pin height had to be set for the bore, 4" stroke, and 6.8" rod length. I believe 4.195" and 4.215" are also available.

Old 11-27-2015, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Auto-Tec makes a 4.185 flat top 455 piston. And, they'll change the pin location, for no extra charge.

http://shanonsengineering.com/collec...at-top-pistons

There are some members here who sell the Auto-Tec pistons.

Old 11-28-2015, 03:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, there are so many more options these days... It was 15 years ago I built the engine described above and there just wasn't the wealth of choices were have now.

Next one's going to be based on a forged crank in a 400 block. Back then if you wanted better than a stock crank a billet was about the only choice.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So you just need 428 + .060" pistons. Icon makes them. Part # IC892-060

Old 11-28-2015, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Icon makes a really nice piston. Good price too. Shop around from the Pontiac vendors and you will find much better prices than you will on the Icon website.

520-409-7236
Koerner Racing Engines
You killed it, We build it!
520-294-5758

64 GTO, under re-construction, 412 CID, also under construction.
87 S-10 Pickup, 321,000 miles
99Monte Carlo, 293,000 miles
86 Bronco, 218,000 miles
Old 11-28-2015, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be a good idea to actually measure all the cylinders. They may need a small bore & hone to make the holes round . So, you may need the 4.185 bore pistons, or ?

The SP L2359NF + .030 455 piston is listed @ 4.181 bore size.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...w/make/pontiac

The .060 over Icon pistons mentioned, show a 4.180 bore size.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ue...b0oaAhTp8P8HAQ

So, if your 455 engine needs a slight bore or hone, to make the cylinders round, the 4.180 pistons MAY not be big enuff. Most engine builders say the clearances are critical. So, I suppose the FINAL bore size MUST be known, before ordering pistons. The type of piston also makes a difference. Some require more clearance than others.

It can also be an advantage to order the pistons with a bit more pin height (comp distance), so that less will need to come off the block to achieve near Zero deck height. For example: The SP L2262F60 400 pistons have a 1.714 pin height. This is .014 more than the factory 400 height of 1.700. This means that .014 less would have to be cut off the block, to achieve zero deck height.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-l2262f60

So, that's one of the advantages of buying pistons with a non-stock pin height. Less cutting off the block deck might also help make for better intake manifold fit.

This is all just basic info, which most already know. So, this post is not meant to insult anyone's intelligence. Just trying to provide info that might possibly help someone who reads this.

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-28-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I suppose you could cut your rod journals down to BBC size and run the Icon IC937-060 pistons, with 6.8 BBC rods. They show a 4.185 bore size.

http://www.cnc-motorsports.com/icon-...-185-bore.html

Spotts shows 'em for $499. But they are still using the KB instead of IC letters. So, that may be old prices. Don't know.

http://www.spottsperformance.com/Pistons

Might be one option, IF you need the 4.185 size. ?

I think the Auto-Tec pistons are the cheapest you'll find. Or, you can order completely custom Race-Tec pistons, which will be cheaper than any of the major brands I know of.

Last edited by ponyakr; 11-28-2015 at 01:17 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Besides just size I would look at a few other things too.

Compression Height
number of valve reliefs
pin oiling
Weight
Cost
Forged Material used
Ring pack size
Skirt design

I really like what the Icon and AutoTec offer. They were the two that narrowed my choice to. Both had their pros and cons. For a car that would be beat like a rental I would go Icon. For a car that would be a cruiser I think the Autotec is a good choice.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:51 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Besides just size I would look at a few other things too.

Compression Height
number of valve reliefs
pin oiling
Weight
Cost
Forged Material used
Ring pack size
Skirt design

I really like what the Icon and AutoTec offer. They were the two that narrowed my choice to. Both had their pros and cons. For a car that would be beat like a rental I would go Icon. For a car that would be a cruiser I think the Autotec is a good choice.
Don't forget that AutoTec has a line of 2618 pistons also, it's there RaceTec line.

Nate

1970 "Real" Judge RAIII 4-speed, Atoll Blue w/painted white top. Mild RAIV headed 400 motor in now.
Old 11-28-2015, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Great thing about Racetec is the ability to order EXACTLY what you want!!! Ring selection, wrist pin placement, whatever...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
It would be a good idea to actually measure all the cylinders. They may need a small bore & hone to make the holes round . So, you may need the 4.185 bore pistons, or ?

The SP L2359NF + .030 455 piston is listed @ 4.181 bore size.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sl...w/make/pontiac

The .060 over Icon pistons mentioned, show a 4.180 bore size.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ue...b0oaAhTp8P8HAQ

So, if your 455 engine needs a slight bore or hone, to make the cylinders round, the 4.180 pistons MAY not be big enuff. Most engine builders say the clearances are critical. So, I suppose the FINAL bore size MUST be known, before ordering pistons. The type of piston also makes a difference. Some require more clearance than others.

It can also be an advantage to order the pistons with a bit more pin height (comp distance), so that less will need to come off the block to achieve near Zero deck height. For example: The SP L2262F60 400 pistons have a 1.714 pin height. This is .014 more than the factory 400 height of 1.700. This means that .014 less would have to be cut off the block, to achieve zero deck height.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-l2262f60

So, that's one of the advantages of buying pistons with a non-stock pin height. Less cutting off the block deck might also help make for better intake manifold fit.

This is all just basic info, which most already know. So, this post is not meant to insult anyone's intelligence. Just trying to provide info that might possibly help someone who reads this.
Man I love this guy, he does so much research for everyone build threads. Thanks, appreciate the info from all.

I have the parts to build the 462. Icon 888s and Eagle H beams, just kicking this around... This will be a street driven A/C 4spd car with 3.23s.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:41 AM
Suspended

I too would recommend an Autotec/Racetec piston. I use them primarily in all my builds and a full custom from them is about the same price as an off-the-shelf with some other guys. That way, you can use a more modern ring pack, put the compression height where you want, and if you have a block that would clean up at .006" overbore, you can customize the bore size instead of taking the block all the way out to .030" or .040" over.

Here's a custom Racetec piece:

The notion to use a BBC rod will also simplify things in terms of "custom-ability". I have a 400 in here now using a factory crankshaft turned down .010" on the mains and standard BBC on the rods. Using a 7.100" H-beam rod with a very light piston. With as many BBC rod lengths out there, you could find something that will bridge the gap for you.

Old 11-29-2015, 01:06 PM
Suspended

I offered a response to this, including some pictures, but it hasn't been approved by a moderator yet.

Just to echo what I was going to say, the Racetec pistons are very nice pistons and I use them predominantly in my builds. It's easy to get a full custom for the same price (or not much more) than an off-the-shelf, which allows different compression heights, modern ring packs, etc, etc.

The beauty of using a BBC rod journal is that you open yourself up to a whole new catalog of rod lengths, which in situations like this, would allow you to use a much shorter piston (less weight).

Old 11-29-2015, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As this is the street section rod length-RSR is meaningless IMO.Tom

Old 11-29-2015, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I offered a response to this, including some pictures, but it hasn't been approved by a moderator yet.

Just to echo what I was going to say, the Racetec pistons are very nice pistons and I use them predominantly in my builds. It's easy to get a full custom for the same price (or not much more) than an off-the-shelf, which allows different compression heights, modern ring packs, etc, etc.

The beauty of using a BBC rod journal is that you open yourself up to a whole new catalog of rod lengths, which in situations like this, would allow you to use a much shorter piston (less weight).
Welcome to the forum, Brent. I'm a Louisville area native. Are you in Oldham, Shelby or Bullitt Co.?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 11-29-2015, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ohio Crankshaft sells their forged rotating assm 3in main 455,balanced with R&B for $2049,$300 less for their cast crank.FWIW,Tom

Old 11-29-2015, 03:19 PM
Suspended

For one thing, I deeply apologize for the Ford pics up above. They were links from photobucket and obviously I screwed up....I'll fix that.

As for rod stroke ratio, no one mentioned that. I, for one, don't look at rod/stroke ratio, but to me, the rod merely connects the crank to the piston. Someone mentioned BBC rod journals and the OP mentioned fully custom pistons....I connected the dots.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Ok, so how do you edit a post???

Old 11-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Suspended

Sorry guys. I guess I can't edit a post that the moderator posted. If it's any consolation that's a very high dollar Ford Racing/Yates Boss intake....and a 482 inch Ford FE going together...

Hurry, I'm in Shelby county....