67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default What aftermarket automatic shifters fit reasonably in the console?

1967 firebird. Original 2 speed console shift automatic. Moving to th400. Planning on going with either a ratchet or gated shifter.

I considered modifying the stock shifter. But I eventually want to to go the type I mentioned anyway. So I would be spending money in the long run to save money now. Plus my car was a basketcase. I wouldnt rule out the possibility of my shifter missing pieces and causing headaches.

So I would prefer to just buy something from B&M or Hurst , it comes with cable and everything for install. Just be done with it.

Question is what fit in there reasonably well without me having to have at anything? I dont care if i have to leave it naked for a while. So the guts of the shifter are showing until I can make something to have it look visibly a little better. I just want something that will install easily hopefully without me having to widen any holes or anything.

Had my eyes on a B&M Hammer or Hurst Quarter Stick. Open to other options if they fit easier. As fas as I know nobody makes a ready fit console shifter for first gens like they do the 2nd and third gens.

I think I saw one that was supposed to be direct for a first gen camaro. Maybe it was a Quicksilver. Not sure how different our consoles are.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 01-27-2017, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since the 67 Firebird console and automatic shifter is the exact same as a 67 Camaro console and shifter, you'll most likely find lots of ideas on a forum like Team Camaro.

Not saying you won't find great ideas here, just opening up your search options.

Frank.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are they? I knew the shifter itself was the same. Wasn't sure about the console and I didn't want to hack mine up if it could be avoided.

Old 01-27-2017, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, 67 only, Firebird and Camaro share the same console.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:15 PM

I installed a B&M Pro Rachet in my 69 console. It took a little trimming of the console to fit. I also made a plate for the shifter to bolt to the factory hole locations, plus drilled and tapped the holes for the new shifter to bolt to. Then I made a bit of a cover plate to go around the shifter housing to dress it up. Not sure if the 67-68 are the console n floor design or not. But I saved the water jet programs incase I ever needed to make another set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shifter.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	446047  

Old 01-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdaniel View Post
I installed a B&M Pro Rachet in my 69 console. It took a little trimming of the console to fit. I also made a plate for the shifter to bolt to the factory hole locations, plus drilled and tapped the holes for the new shifter to bolt to. Then I made a bit of a cover plate to go around the shifter housing to dress it up. Not sure if the 67-68 are the console n floor design or not. But I saved the water jet programs incase I ever needed to make another set.
In the research Ive done recently they arent. 67 is one year only. I even think Ive seen some made for 68-69 (Camaros at least) But nothing for 67. I refuse to believe that nobody has successfully put an aftermartket shifter in a 67 firebird without hacking it to bits. I just havent found one yet lol.

I could handle drilling a hole for mount screws in my trans tunnel. Even dremeling a little wider down there if necessary though I would prefer against. I just dont want to hack at the console.

That looks good in the pictures btw

Old 01-30-2017, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be buying this for my 69 just as soon as I can save the $$$

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-69-Pont...-/331037463418

Says it fits 68 too. May want to hit them up and see what it takes to make it fit in a 67!

Old 01-30-2017, 08:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I put a B&M Mega shifter in my '67, BUT, I had to use a '68 console.
The '67 console is different than the '68 - '69's.

B&M Megashifters 81035

There is no try. - Yoda

1967 Firebird Restoration 2005 - 1/25/2017
Old 02-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put a Hurst Promatic ratchet shifter in my 67. I had previously modded a 2nd gen shifter to fit (required trimming and welding, and floor mod), but I didn't like the final result very much when I would go 1 to 3 occasionally at the track.

The ratchet shifter required trimming to fit the console opening (which I did NOT want to hack up), and careful positioning on the floor plate patch I had to make. I love the way this one works, even tho I will have to do some sort of boot to clean things up cosmetically.

I have a Hurst quarter stick shifter that looked like it would fit easier, but I didn't like the looks/operation of that one quite as much. I had 3 to choose from that I picked up from a friend cleaning out his years of junk.

67 console is definitely a fit challenge. From a driveability perspective, I would WAAY prefer a taller console for shifter fit AND for arm rest purposes.

Old 02-06-2017, 03:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah I have still been waffling. I think Ive settled on the taking my stab with either a B&M Hammer or quicksilver. It looks like if you have to modify the console at all it should be small clearing in tucked away areas. That and you might have to move the whole console back an inch or two. Which is fine.

I agree that it looks like the straight up easiest would probably be the quarter stick. It looks like the most compact mechanism. But I dont like the looks without the pistol grip. And I just refuse on principle to pay an extra $100 for a handle style change.

The hammer looks like the top of the case is small enough to fit through the opening in the 67 console. I have zero qualms about hacking the hell out of the B&M case to fit, I just dont want to have to cut up my factory console.

http://www.camaros.net/forums/27-tra...7-console.html

I found that, which makes me think its doable with minimal invasion. I wish all the pictures worked. Its an old thread.

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 02-06-2017 at 03:19 PM.