Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...
Default Just Rocky's Q-Jet article in Car Craft...

Job well done!!! Rocky and Cliff.

Lol, I hope Cliff doesn't get so busy selling parts that he can't post here anymore...: D

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 04-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Our parts business has been growing steadily for years and currently I'm spending 4-6 hours a day filling orders and correspondence with customers, etc.

I've stepped up when needed and currently we're offering a lot of parts that we're having made that are either not available in the aftermarket or the quality of what is being made is pathetic.

Just added high flow non-windowed N/S assemblies, and two different types of custom machined primary metering rods for post 1974 models. It's quite a plunge initially to have parts made as large quantities are required to get a reasonable cost on them. It still beats working long/hard hours daily on grungy carburetors some of which look like they came from the bottom of a farm pond!

Have seen the finished article yet, will take a look when I get a moment.

I'm starting to scale back some on carburetor rebuilding/restoration with retirement on the horizon, but will keep doing parts sales for a while.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 04-20-2019, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

I thought there was a typo on the price range of the kits...Obviously I was wrong, I have not been to your web site for a while. The $25.95 kit should keep many from buying the cheapo parts store kits...

I tell everyone to buy the deluxe kit, and get ALL the other parts, also. Metering rods, jets, bushing kit. Do the jog once and do it right!!! Also tell them not to be e fool and think the $18.00 kit on E-Boob will do the job...

I belong to the Chevrolet pickup web site also. They are all ate up with the AFB E carb clones. Myself and another member there made some slightly negative comments on a thread about someone trying to get his "Eddy" carb tuned correctly...(Eddy, that is sick...LOL). We got our posts deleted form that thread....they weren't anything caustic at all, just the truth.

Shut it off
Shut it off

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 04-20-2019 at 12:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't even know car craft was still in print.

I thought Hot Rod bought all the magazines.

Old 04-20-2019, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Which issue is this in?

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 04-20-2019, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Which issue is this in?

Current, which I got in mail THursday. not sure what month. They keep that so far ahead...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 04-20-2019, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad I got got my Q-Jet and Distributor rebuilt by Cliff...before he hangs it up...

Old 04-20-2019, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Out $25.95 kit is the most recent offering and still contains a complete accl pump assembly with new springs/retainer and we offer the high flow N/S assembly and HP pump as options at no additional cost.

Folks still cheap-out for the $18 Ebay deal with free shipping, then find out that the pretty blue pump seal they get ends up coming off the pump and wound up on the return spring, and they get the tiny "generic" N/S assembly.

So we offered a "basic kit" to be price competitive, but did not compromise in quality of the components.......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 04-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
Out $25.95 kit is the most recent offering and still contains a complete accl pump assembly with new springs/retainer and we offer the high flow N/S assembly and HP pump as options at no additional cost.

Folks still cheap-out for the $18 Ebay deal with free shipping, then find out that the pretty blue pump seal they get ends up coming off the pump and wound up on the return spring, and they get the tiny "generic" N/S assembly.

So we offered a "basic kit" to be price competitive, but did not compromise in quality of the components.......Cliff

Cliff are the kits carb number specific?
What is the "kitchen sink" kit that would included every possible option.

Old 04-20-2019, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I specialize in putting custom kits together with tuning parts and everything else needed so the builder can set it up for a specific application. Contact the shop directly for that service....Cliff

Old 04-21-2019, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do my best to lead my friends and walk-in customers to Cliff for carburetor parts. But still, some just can't resist the quick, walk-in generic kit from the junk local parts store. I reluctantly cleaned a carburetor and installed a generic kit in a 75 TA Q-jet a few weeks ago. He installed it and it ran great for 1 day. On day 2, the accelerator pump plunger stuck in the bowl and ripped off the stem and the float was beginning to absorb gasoline. Flooded over and ruined his freshly painted intake. Thank goodness I put right on the invoice, "customer supplied carburetor kit and no float provided" Hopefully he learned his lesson and will buy a kit from Cliff that actually works for more than 1 day. Some people just have to learn the hard way. Thanks Cliff for providing quality parts we can count on.

Old 04-21-2019, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, just go to CLIFF's beer pub, bring your Q-JET, and he can't resist tearing into it. Craft beer, craft carb

Old 04-21-2019, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought he and his wife got out of that???

Shut it off
Shut it off
Old 04-21-2019, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Which issue is this in?
July 2019.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I see more "blue" seals torn, swelled up and wrapped around the return spring or stuck in the bore so hard it causes the pump shaft to pull out of the body than I can count.

I remove the factory blue seals from every single pump we sell here and install one that will not fail in any of this new fuel, alcohol, methanol, E-85, E-10/15, etc. I offer a lifetime warranty on it and to date have not had to replace one.

The pump also has a crimped on retainer to keep the shaft from pulling out of it, and custom wound springs. The pump spring is chrome vanadium spring wire and the return spring is stainless steel to prevent rust.

The biggest buyers of those pumps are folks who just bought a cheap-ars kit off Ebay or from their local parts store.

I attached some pics below, of a cheap parts store "blue" seal wrapped around the return spring after less than 3 weeks in service. First pic is the lighter blue "soft" seals that show up in most kits on the cheap soft plastic pump w/o a crimped on retainer, and third pic shows us replacing the factory seals with ours..........Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	accl pumps 026.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	510725   Click image for larger version

Name:	!cid_20EB8DAE1DAB47B0AECC3BD187ECD500@CliffsHPPC.png
Views:	186
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	510726   Click image for larger version

Name:	carbstuff (6).jpg
Views:	194
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	510727  

Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I see more "blue" seals torn, swelled up and wrapped around the return spring or stuck in the bore so hard it causes the pump shaft to pull out of the body than I can count.

I remove the factory blue seals from every single pump we sell here and install one that will not fail in any of this new fuel, alcohol, methanol, E-85, E-10/15, etc. I offer a lifetime warranty on it and to date have not had to replace one.

The pump also has a crimped on retainer to keep the shaft from pulling out of it, and custom wound springs. The pump spring is chrome vanadium spring wire and the return spring is stainless steel to prevent rust.

The biggest buyers of those pumps are folks who just bought a cheap-ars kit off Ebay or from their local parts store.

I attached some pics below, of a cheap parts store "blue" seal wrapped around the return spring after less than 3 weeks in service. First pic is the lighter blue "soft" seals that show up in most kits on the cheap soft plastic pump w/o a crimped on retainer, and third pic shows us replacing the factory seals with ours..........Cliff
So much of this stuff is made overseas now that quality has suffered greatly but people still shop price. Nothing wrong with this but as I tell everyone, normally you get what you pay for. Just like those Edelbrock carbs everybody seems to love. You told me about these Cliff. They don't cost much but the quality suffers. I don't care what the parts cost as long as it is correct and has a normal service life.