Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-01-2020, 12:15 PM
Senior Chief

Default Camshaft Bearing Installation Question

Getting ready to install the cam bearings in my 400. I'm using the Lisle 18000 Cam Bearing Tool.
I'm going to install bearings 2-5 through the front. What is the recommendation about installing bearing number 1? From the rear (to keep it straight) or from the front?

Just wanted to know how everyone else did this and any tips on installation.

Thanks, Steven

-----------------------------------
GTO-The Great One for 1967
-----------------------------------
Old 12-01-2020, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Start with the middle Bearing from either end of the block and be sure to give the Bearings a real good lookover for burrs on there OD from the drilling of the oil holes as it can make for a pain in ass time of getting them in without cocking.
Also first off slide each Bearing onto the Cam to insure they fit and are not bent.

And take good care in keeping the oil hole lined up until the Bearing has started to pull in enough to not move.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-01-2020, 12:56 PM
Boost Engineer

A very nice tool. I have two of the older models from the Pontiac Dealership.

If you look at the picture attached you will see that the installer's left had is several inches away from the cone centering device that locates the tool properly.
I added a soft spring and a collar to my tool that puts pressure on that cone and keeps it in the block even though I place my hand in the same location as the picture.

Tom Vaught
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM BEARING iNSTALLATION.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	555152  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:31 AM
Senior Chief

Default Getting Back To You

Thanks for the suggestions, got the bearings in this afternoon. Went in good and oil holes are perfect but I'm still having a problem when the cam (Melling 068) gets to bearings 4 & 5. I hope this cam isn't bent/warped.

I had an old Comp Cam core (XE262) and it seemed to go in better with just a little bit of tightness, still cannot turn with my fingers though.

I'm going to check the straightness of the cam and also try to install it from the rear and inspect if there is any interference or burrs in #5 bearing. Maybe I will have to dress the bearing a little bit. Of course maybe I got one in crooked, I tried to keep them straight. If I have to do them again, so be it.

Anyway just another stumble in this project, I'm not going any further until this camshaft is perfect. This is one of the main reasons I tore this engine down because the cam went in too tight. With the rotating assembly out, I can see things better.
Again thanks for all your help, I will be having more questions in the near future.
Steven

Old 12-02-2020, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I have had that issue take place atleast in regards to a iron Cam it was never a problem with the Cam, it was just that one or more of the Bearing got loaded in a bit crooked.

Pull it out and have someone help you center it better on the way back in.

To help you keep the oil hole lined up better I forgot to mention that what I do is on the back side of the Bearing I make a thin fine black marker line from the center of the oil hole out to the edge of the bearing.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-02-2020, 10:50 AM
Senior Chief

check cam for straightness first. Not uncommon for cams to be bent. Doesn't take much for the cam to bind.

Here's a video showing how to straighten them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YinjKgNM3g

The Following User Says Thank You to Bermuda Blue For This Useful Post: