Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:18 AM
Suspended

Default removing wood floor adhesive from concrete

We were affected by the floods in SE Texas and had to remove our wood floors, which are now all up and out of here. The floor was put down with a yellow adhesive fifteen years ago when we built the house. The adhesive was semi-soft
as the wood came off but hardens pretty quick. We have been scooting around on our butts with chisels slowly scraping it off; veeeery slowly!

Can anyone recommend something that they have actually used to soften the stuff so it comes off more easily? I've googled this and there are a number of products on the market that say they will do it but if you google them without exception you will find reviews that say they don't work, and I'd just as soon not go through a process of trial and error to find one that actually works. I do NOT
want to use anything flammable because I am familiar with an incident where a fellow incinerated himself and his home trying to get this stuff off using a flammable agent - this was twenty years ago.

Any suggestions from someone who has actually used what they are recommending would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-16-2017, 12:01 PM

I recently completed a project and rented a EDCO walk behind concrete grinder. The circular diamond blade pad is about 14". They have a vac system to minimize the dust. Leaves you with a smooth surface for new installation. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 09-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Sorry to hear of your flooding.

There are many products that will soften the adhesive, however these for the most part just make it a harder/longer process of removal.
Soft glue just moves around and clogs most sanding type procedures adding to the time and cost. There are also a variety of power scrapers/sanders/grinders available to rent.
The power scraper is one I would try first, if your working on a somewhat smooth surface.

Sanders and Grinder are very good but the dust and pads/disc required can add up.
If your not apposed to breaking a sweat a long handle floor scrapper is worth a shot.
Use the long handle scraper for the majority and a handheld 4" razor scraper for the stubborn sections. It's a PITA but it can be done.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We recently had our floors redone and the installers used the long handle scrapers.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the responses as a result of your posts I clicked around and found that there are electric machines made by ADCO and others that remove tiles, wood floors, linoleum, glued on carpet tiles, the residual glue etc. and I'm sure whoever replaces our floor either has one or can rent one and they will remove the glue before installing the new floor. I will check Monday to be sure before we try to remove any more of this stuff and if they will in fact remove it we will quit worrying about it.