Old 02-18-2014, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 Convertible Question

Under the rear tacking strip that runs along the pinchweld there are rubber pieces that apparently serve to keep the tacking strip slightly away from the car body so water can flow down the drain channel. When I removed the tacking strip on this frame-off I noticed that there were no rubber pieces under the tacking strip pieces that run along the sides of the car, just along the back. That is puzzling to me. I'm guessing that the pieces were there on the sides originally, but when I had the top replaced thirty years ago they either fell off when the installer removed the tacking strip, or they were never there in the first place. It would seem that they would be necessary on the sides as well as the rear, but I'd like to hear from other convertible owners as to what they have found. Also, does anyone sell these pieces? They are rectangular with an oval hole cut in the middle.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:22 AM
Senior Chief

Default 64 Convertible Question

All but a few of my rubber shims were missing from my 65 GTO. I used the originals as a template and cut replacements from a truck tire tube using an Exacto knife. These I glued onto the body using the bolts as a guide for placement. When sourcing the rubber inner tube look carefully and you will notice that the inner section that would go up against the rim is typically thicker. I cut my replacements from this area as it more closely resembled my original as to thickness and durometer. You do not want rubber that will totally compress under load from the bolts. Yes, the shims were also located behind the side tacking strips. Worked perfectly as my top drains well into the trough.

The Following User Says Thank You to olde-goat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 10:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I cleaned out the dirt build up in the area under my 1/4 window. I found a few of those rubber pieces. Also a lag bolt to the tack strip, a screw for the convert weather strip an odd shaped metal piece and some old pieces of broken weather striping.

I haven't crawled in the trunk far enough to see if all the rubber pieces were removed, but I would guess they are.

The Following User Says Thank You to rohrt For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

rohrt's picture reminded me about the fact that if you do not have enough original lag screws and are using other after market screws do not exceed the length of the originals. I saw an installation done with screws that actually dimpled the quarter panels from the inside.

The Following User Says Thank You to olde-goat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by olde-goat View Post
rohrt's picture reminded me about the fact that if you do not have enough original lag screws and are using other after market screws do not exceed the length of the originals. I saw an installation done with screws that actually dimpled the quarter panels from the inside.
Now THAT would make a guy scream loud and long.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I removed everything from the body I did find assorted trash in the area under the top cylinders, but none of the rubber pieces. I may have to go the truck tube route that OG used. I can certainly see where having too compressable rubber would defeat the purpose. You would think that the repop folks would produce these, and the top installers would certainly have need of them.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would contact Soft seal as they would be your best to have them reproduced , seems like a simple item to make .