Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Decent but Cheap 1/2" Drill

Well, my 1/2" drill works great. But, now it only works turning clockwise. The reverse don't work.

I need one to turn the oil pump driveshaft fast enuff to pump oil thru Pontiac engines. Won't need it for any other purpose.

I'm not gonna pay $100 or more for a single purpose drill, which I'll use very little.

I've looked online. There are cheap Skil, B&D, & other models, for under $50. Will these cheapies do the job ?

I've seen power ratings from 7-10 amps. Is 7 amps strong enuff for this job ? I saw some reconditioned DeWalt 10 amps for about $70. A new one was $100.

So, do any of you guys have a cheap model which does a good job for this purpose ? Don't wanna buy a cheapie that doesn't have enuff power to do the job. But, also don't wanna spend unnecessary $$ on overkill power I don't need.

All help will be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Won't need it for any other purpose.
Harbor Freight? http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ic-drills.html
You can always dump it on CL if it's not going to get used much. You need torque more than speed. Around here contractors buy HF for job sites where stuff gets stolen. They are disposable tools.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Go to your local Pawnshop and pick one out. Whatever the price is, offer less. No need to spend a lot on a drill. These guys that run thick oil dont think of how hard that oil pump turns.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 03-27-2017, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, are you guys saying that any 1/2" drill has enuff power to properly turn the shaft ? In other words, one of the $39.95 7 amp models will work ?

By the way, I failed to mention that this will be a corded drill.

Also, I've had real bad experiences with pawn shop elec power tools. There were problems with every single one I bought. Had to throw all in the trash. Maybe, I can at least buy a cheapie, locally, where I can get a replacement if it don't work.

Old 03-28-2017, 01:35 AM
Senior Chief

oh plaeeeeeeeeeeeeees,, dont buy any new chinese crap..look on e-bay, buy a milwaukee magnum hole shooter, used,,1/2 chuck,,the one with a lever type trigger,, right now some 50-80, depending on cond,,mine was $60 5 years ago, still going strong,, once u use quality tool you'll never buy crap again,there is no substitue for quality...just make sure all 3 prongs are on the cord, to plug in..

Old 03-28-2017, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...dont buy any new chinese crap..look on e-bay, buy a milwaukee..."

Are there really any power tools made in the USA nowadays ? Here's a Milwaukee said to be made in China.

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-023.../dp/B0000223HF

I don't have any problem with Chinese made. And if I had plenty of $$ to burn, I'd buy the most expensive and most powerful model I could find.

But, I need to spend as little as possible, & still get a 1/2" drill with plenty of power to pump oil thru a Pontiac engine.

I've been burned on too many used power tools. Not going that way again. I would consider reconditioned. But, SURELY there is a cheapie that will actually meet my simple needs.

So, is there anybody on this forum who has a cheapie that has plenty of power to do this ? If so, would you please post the exact brand & model number ? Thanks !

The cheapest of the new, higher priced models I've found, is a DeWalt.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWALT-DW235...-/252763536593

There are also some Milwaukee models in the $90-$100 range.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MILWAUKEE-1-...gAAOSwCU1Y0tPj

But, there are lots of cheapies for half that much. So, if they'll do the job, I can spend the extra $$ on something else. But, even if they work great, but don't have enuff power, then they may drill holes OK, but not meet my needs. I suppose what I need is a demonstrator model, to try for a while.

Old 03-28-2017, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have this Milwaukee, it'll about break your wrist if it gets snagged drilling say a 5/8 hole.

http://www.ruralking.com/milwaukee-1...l-5376-20.html

Main thing is it doesn't get hot like the cheap crap does, I've found that when a corded tool gets hot, failure isn't far away.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That brings up a dummy question. What is a "hammer drill" ?

Is that what I need ? Or do I just need a regular drill, without the "hammer" part.

In the old days I used my dad's Craftsman 1/2". It worked great. But I don't have it now.

Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
That brings up a dummy question. What is a "hammer drill" ?

Is that what I need ? Or do I just need a regular drill, without the "hammer" part.

In the old days I used my dad's Craftsman 1/2". It worked great. But I don't have it now.
You dont want a hammer drill, unless you can turn the "hammer" off and on. Its better for drilling Concrete or Blocks. It "Pounds" as its drilling. Not good for a oil pump.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.
Bill Nye.
Old 03-28-2017, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never seen a drill that you couldn't turn the hammer feature off..........

It's just a flip of a switch and it transforms it to whatever type material your working on..........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated