The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-24-2014, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

Default 1970 Polar White Paint

Getting my 70 GTO about ready for paint. The painter has the car about ready for it's last coat of primer.

This car is going to be a presentable driver, not a trailer queen. Something maybe to have a local show- but also to be presentable to a new buyer when if I sell.

Car has had a typical amount of filler- nothing crazy and metal work done correctly.

Any suggestions for best bang for your buck on the paint...manufactuer-wise... quality....who to stay away from ?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Senior Chief

I used a single stage urethane by DuPont for my 70 TA. About half price of Basecoat Clearcoat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	374194  

Old 08-24-2014, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used the PPG Deltron line (DBC) for over 15 years with good success. Typically whites are not expensive compared to reds or colors with pearls, so I would use a good quality base and clear system. Your clear is where you get the UV protection, so don't go cheap on that. Poor UV protection can result in the clear breaking down and dulling, then turning loose.
We use PPG DCU 2002 clear, which runs about $300 a gallon. Add hardener and reducer and you are close to the $500 mark.

Old 08-24-2014, 02:08 PM
Senior Chief

Another angle.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	374195  

Old 08-24-2014, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default best paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogolfx View Post
Getting my 70 GTO about ready for paint. The painter has the car about ready for it's last coat of primer.

This car is going to be a presentable driver, not a trailer queen. Something maybe to have a local show- but also to be presentable to a new buyer when if I sell.

Car has had a typical amount of filler- nothing crazy and metal work done correctly.

Any suggestions for best bang for your buck on the paint...manufactuer-wise... quality....who to stay away from ?

Thanks in advance
Base/clear is way more durable for a variety of reasons, but two important questions as to how much your finish will degrade from UV exposure are where you live and is your car garaged or not? All the major paint companies make excellent quality paint and also make lower "price point" products. If you live in the north, and your car will typically be kept in a garage and won't be driven in snowy conditions, you could get by with a less expensive quality paint system and probably see good longevity. If you live in the south (much greater UV exposure) and /or the car is not garaged, get the most expensive paint that you can. If you want to compare brands, ask for QUV or weather-o-meter test data, post it and I'll explain it to you if they can't at the paint store (chances are good they won't know how to decipher it). I know this doesn't answer your question on brands, but I have sprayed Du Pont, PPG and BASF and was satisfied with the performance of all three.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:31 AM
Senior Chief

Thank You Guys... made the decision yesterday on the Base/Clear. know it may cost a little more, but (should I sell in the future) I would like the next owner to know I went the extra step as well.

1970TA.... Car looks amazing. Dead sexy !

Thanks for the input all.