Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-22-2019, 11:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Racers needed

We really need some new blood in the Vintage Road racing in the Southeast.
There has to be some guys out there wanting to do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60604159_689984428124322_1303941844748468224_o.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	512722  

Old 05-22-2019, 12:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd love to, but I'm kinda maxxed-out on projects for awhile.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 05-22-2019, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

I'd be down if I lived in that area. I'm nowhere close though.

Old 05-22-2019, 01:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What is your race schedule?

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 05-22-2019, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the schedules for the two main SE sanctions.
Most of us jump between them to fill our calendar with tracks close to us or that fit our schedule. There are a couple more sanctions that cross over too.

https://www.vintagedrive.com/
http://hsrrace.com/2019-events-page/

VDCA is where I run most now, less expensive with more track time over HSR and we're trying to get them to add another event in Kershaw at CMP since Summit is quite a haul for most of us.

I'll usually run 2 events in the Spring and 2-3 in the fall.

Since these are anywhere from 2-3 day events that's usually enough. I ran 7-8 events a season for a couple years, with a Pony car that's tough on equipment and expensive so the Spring-Fall schedule works better. Sometimes I'll do a track day in the Summer just to get the car out.

For those that don't know much about Vintage racing I'll add this.
Vintage Road Racing isn't like other forms of racing. It's more of a vacation destination for the weekend. A lot of us camp, and although a full banquet is provided by the Sanction on Saturday most grill out the other days. Set up corn hole games and make a weekend party out of it. Most of the clientele is older so it's never rowdy. We have to ready to be on track at 8am some days so late night parties are non existent. If it's noisy it's usually someone thrashing all night on their car. The race day is done around 5:00 every day.

Cost wise I'd guess it might be on par with someone racing every weekend? circle or drag, depending on their level, the weekend is just done a lot differently.
The gap between events seems long but there's no way you could do this weekly, and running a 30 minute or an hour race in a hot car in July-August? lets just say I once melted my shoes to the floor, so running in the SE in the Summer is rare for most.

There is no payout, no prize money, some sanctions don't even give Trophies, but on the track none of that matters, it's pretty intense racing.
Roughly 2+ hours of track time over the weekend, two or three 30 sprint races and an hour long Endurance race, plus practice and qualifying.
A car like mine will burn around 40+ gallons of fuel over the weekend, tires can last several events though, sticker tires get expensive so some of us rotate used for practice, stickers to race and cycle them.
Body contact is virtually non existent, it's extremely frowned upon and rough or reckless driving will get you suspended.

For anyone interested I'd suggest attended a Vintage event and checking out the cars, most drivers are more than happy to tell you anything you want to know.
It does take some schooling and track time to get licensed, you can't just show up and race, safety is important and cars get inspected.
We'd like to build up the Pony car ranks in the SE, they've been stagnant for the last few years.

Old 05-22-2019, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Would dearly love to, but the travel is a bit much 🙁

Old 05-22-2019, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455-4+1 View Post
Would dearly love to, but the travel is a bit much 🙁
That boat should get you here pretty quick. Might need a bigger fuel tank.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 05-24-2019, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a cubic inch or weight limit in your class? Class 6, production classics? Is there a larger sanctioned body that sets the rules for racing and how to build the car for passing tech?

I have wanted to try a road course for a long time. But never found the info on what it would take to get my car set up to do it. It looks like fun, thanks for posting that. Your class looks like a blast, cool cars!

My brother and I have a 1969 Mclaren M6GT replica. Then Dad has two more. Dads are power by 455 Olds one car is black, the other yellow. We have talked about converting one to a Pontiac. Never been to a track, all street cars, third one is red with a the sbc, has A/C and is a heavier car. It would be a blast to get one or all three on a track. Thought about drag racing, but it belongs on a road course. Maybe both....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OGuduX2Zv-Y

Last edited by Jay S; 05-24-2019 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Add
Old 05-24-2019, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post

For those that don't know much about Vintage racing I'll add this.
Vintage Road Racing isn't like other forms of racing. It's more of a vacation destination for the weekend. A lot of us camp, and although a full banquet is provided by the Sanction on Saturday most grill out the other days. Set up corn hole games and make a weekend party out of it. Most of the clientele is older so it's never rowdy. We have to ready to be on track at 8am some days so late night parties are non existent. If it's noisy it's usually someone thrashing all night on their car. The race day is done around 5:00 every day.
Sounds like the NMCA.

My engine builder likes to say "our eating team has a racing problem".

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926